-To A Film

To his dismay, Jesse didn't manage to catch Mavis that night. He fell behind too far too fast, and she managed to lose him. He knew she wouldn't have wanted anyone to be there for her, but he still wanted to be that person. He had hoped so badly he could be that, but he knew it would require him leading two lives. He had already made his choice.

It had been a few days since the incident, Milan had told Jesse to stay home until tonight. He had asked Jesse to come in and bring his truck, so he obliged. He wasn't sure why, but the closer he got to the shop the more nervous he grew. It ate away at his stomach.

When he got there, the sky was already dark and the moon hidden amongst thick clouds. He could feel the rain taunting him. He glanced at the spot where the officer had fallen days ago, the gravel still lined with blood. The cruiser was long gone though, he assumed that Milan and Barrett may have been used to cleaning up Mavis' mess.

The shop was in silence as he approached. Jesse could see Barrett was packing old parts from Mavis' bike into a box.

He must've fixed it while I was gone.

"Milan is in his office" Barrett said without glancing up.

"Evening to you too" Jesse bit back. Mavis was leaving, he didn't have to get along with this guy anymore he figured.

Jesse opened the door to Milan's office and was greeted by the old man in his chair, he had stopped writing in his notebook beneath his hands and adjusted his glasses to look at Jesse.

"Sit" He said flatly and Jesse moved to the chair near him, the door shutting behind him on its own.

"Am I in trouble?" He asked sheepishly. He watched as Milan's gaze softened and he felt the nervousness wash away.

"No Jesse" He said with a soft grumble, his face bearing an almost grin.

"Look, I have appreciated your help more than anything this season, and you've been a great kid here, but I have to let you go" Milan said as he leaned his elbows on his knees to bring his massive size down to Jesse's average height.

"What?!" Jesse began, gobsmacked by the situation. "What have I done wrong? I promise I can fix it Milan" Jesse started to ramble and Milan cut him off, concern filling his gaze.

"It's nothing you've done Jesse" Milan reassured him. "Your work is nothing short of excellent, but you see, it's just too dangerous here for you. With our kind, and with Mavis, I don't want to see you falling victim to this way of living" Milan concluded and Jesse began to understand.

Jesse sunk into the chair for a moment, letting his mind comb through the events of the past few months of his life here. Mavis wasn't human, she'd likely live to see at least a hundred more years, and everywhere she ran couldn't sustain her. Jesse had his own life too, and Mavis was leaving very soon. Yet somewhere in his heart, Jesse was convinced he could make this work.

"What if I'm willing to take the risk?" Jesse asked quietly and he swore if Milan had the ears he'd imagined werewolves to have he could've seen them perk up.

"I'm not sure that's a good idea Jesse, We'll be closing shop soon and-" Milan was cut off.

"I can work at the ranch too! I know Barrett isn't there full time, and there's a lot of work for just one person to do, I can help, I can learn" Jesse began to push, deciding that he would be taking control of this time around. Milan just sighed and sat back, his chair creaking under his weight.

"I'll give you a few weeks at the ranch, until you can find something else Jesse" Milan said, crumbling under Jesse's begging. Jesse took this as a win, he knew that if he could get this far he might be able to prove himself and stay for the long run. The pay was too good, the world was too interesting, and Mavis was here. Even if she was leaving she might come back, Jesse was grasping at straws.