Chapter One Forsaken

Blade's eyes open once more. He was lying in the middle of an open field where there were flowers stained with blood all over the clearing. The sight around doesn't bother him in the slightest, it was a scene he had witnessed repeatedly before.

He felt a dull weight pressed against his chest and his gaze drifted down to see weapons lodged, where no living man should bear such injuries. This too, did not disturb him. It had been a long time since something like this had made him hesitate.

While still on his back, he began the process of pulling each weapon out of his pierced body. One by one, he gripped the blades to remove them. Bone and muscles gave way as each one was ripped out and discarded like a used rag. He could hear the tiny sounds of tendons bridging and reconnecting. That sound used to bother him to no end, but such concerns like that were left in the past long ago.

Blade's gaze lingered on the sky above as he lay there. He didn't feel the need nor want to move at this moment, because he stared at one of the only things in the entire universe that could move his aching heart.

The colour blue that reminded him of a love that he wanted more than anything.

So he continued to gaze at the endless blue sky above, but while doing so, he couldn't help but reminisce.

No matter how many times I've tried to avoid thinking about you. No matter how often I force myself to stay busy, it never helps. You are the one thing I can never forget, the one thing my soul refuses to let go of.

It's only in moments like this that I allow my mind to think about you. Looking at the vast sky above, all I can think about are your beautiful eyes, light blue like the sky. When I blink, all I can hear is your angelic voice spouting nonsense that always made me laugh. And your laugh, so silly and carefree, that it never failed to make me smile. And every time I close my eyes, your beautiful face is the only one I ever see.

I wanted to forget about you, because the memory of you caused so much pain, that it made it so hard to function. The only way I knew how to move forward, was to give up the very thing that makes us who we are. Our memories. But anything to do with you, my soul would never let part. No matter how much time passed, nor how many other memories I gave. My name, my family, my very being. Everything that made up who I was. But no matter what, the memories of you would never leave my heart.

I know I'm a completely different man to the one you would remember.

Blade—that's the name I chose after I died my first and only death. Since then, it has been nothing but pain. I wanted it to end; I wanted to close my eyes and to never open them again. I tried again and again to end it all, but because of what I did with my prey, I will never die again. I'm stuck in this world, my brain churning and thinking—thinking for all eternity. Thinking of what could have been, how I could have made you happy, how our life would have been together.

But that life I dream of, it isn't possible anymore. Maybe it never was.

After some time had passed, his body had fully regenerated from all the wounds he suffered. He decided it was time he should get up from the ground, but by doing so, he spotted a rock that he could lean against and gaze at the sky.

He slowly walked there, ignoring the sight of the battle around him. He proceeded to sit and lean against it. After everything that he experienced today, he wanted to reminisce once more...