Chapter 1

Prologue

It was a typical bustling morning at the university gates. Students, wrapped in their own worlds, hurried past the entrance, weaving between groups and solo travelers. Dexter Hayes, the campus heartthrob known for his charm and cool demeanor, drove through the gate in his sleek, black car. He was late for his first class, but he didn’t seem too bothered. His calm aura was almost magnetic, drawing glances from everyone around him.

Sa gitna ng lahat ng kaguluhan, isang bagong transferee ang dumating sa unibersidad. Serena Brooks, na nakasuot ng simple ngunit eleganteng uniporme, ay naglalakad ng mabagal habang nag-iisip tungkol sa kanyang unang araw sa bagong paaralan. Lahat ng bagay ay tila magulo para sa kanya—mula sa mga kakaibang tao hanggang sa mga bagong lugar.

As Serena stepped onto the pedestrian crossing, lost in her thoughts and the unfamiliar surroundings, she didn’t notice the sleek black car approaching. In an instant, the collision happened—a loud bang echoed through the campus, drawing the attention of everyone nearby.

“Sorry!” Serena exclaimed as she scrambled to her feet. Her voice, soft and melodious, cut through the chaos.

Dexter, who had been jolted by the impact, looked up from where he had fallen. Instead of the fierce reaction one might expect from a campus heartthrob, his expression was one of genuine surprise mixed with something else entirely. His eyes met Serena’s, and for a moment, the world seemed to slow down.

Serena, flustered and embarrassed, quickly apologized. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you coming!”

Dexter, still on the ground, was momentarily stunned by the sincerity in Serena’s voice. Her soft tone was like a balm to his ego. He found himself unable to muster any anger. Instead, he managed a casual, almost resigned, “It’s okay.”

Serena helped him to his feet, and Dexter found himself captivated by her presence. She was different from anyone he’d ever met—her demeanor was genuine, and there was an air of innocence about her that was rare.

“Salamat ” Serena said as she brushed off her clothes, her cheeks flushed with embarrassment. She quickly excused herself and walked away, disappearing into one of the university buildings.

Dexter watched her retreating figure, his mind racing. Why did he respond so calmly? He was usually more assertive, more demanding in situations like this. But with Serena, he felt an inexplicable pull, something he couldn't quite understand.

“Who was that?” Dexter muttered to himself. He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. His friends often joked about his charm, but this was different. Serena had left a mark on him, and he wasn’t sure how to handle it.

Sa kabilang dako, si Serena ay naglalakad papasok ng gusali, patuloy na iniisip ang nangyari. Ang pagkakaroon ng kakaibang karanasan sa kanyang unang araw ay hindi tumigil sa pag-ikot ng kanyang isipan. Hindi niya alam ang pangalan ng lalaki, ngunit ang hindi inaasahang pagkakahulog at ang kanyang reaction ay tila napaka-iba sa kanyang inaasahan.

The rest of the day went by in a blur for Serena. She attended her classes, met a few new people, and tried to settle into her new environment. But no matter how hard she tried to focus, her mind kept drifting back to the mysterious guy she had bumped into.

Meanwhile, Dexter was trying to make sense of his reaction. He couldn't shake the feeling that this was not a typical encounter. “I need to find out who she is,” he resolved. He was usually indifferent to these kinds of incidents, but Serena had intrigued him in a way he didn’t fully understand.

As the day turned into evening, Dexter found himself contemplating the earlier incident. It was unlike him to be so affected by a brief encounter, but Serena had done just that. He wondered if he would ever see her again and what the future might hold.