05

Whispers in the wind!

- Mahira -

Thud.

I slammed the file on his desk, the sound reverberating in the quiet room, but the man in front of me didn’t even flinch. Typical Reyansh—acting like nothing can touch him. My eyes narrowed into a glare, but he didn’t bother looking up. He just stayed focused on the file he was reading, wearing that same bored expression. How dare he!

What does he think of himself?

Fuming, I plopped onto the couch nearby, watching him as he pretended I wasn’t there. It was well past midnight, and every other employee had gone home, but not me. No, here I was, still stuck with Reyansh, going through endless files for our upcoming projects. I guess losing one of the biggest deals this afternoon wasn’t bad enough. now I had to deal with his simmering anger being directed straight at me. Why always me? Why couldn’t he snap at someone else for once?

Ugh, I glanced up in frustration. Anyone up there? Please, just swallow this man whole—

"What the fuck is wrong with you?"

I blinked, startled by his sharp voice. My heart raced as I met his eyes, which were now filled with disbelief. Great, just what I needed—his attention.

"W-what?" I stammered, feeling the sudden nervousness creep up inside me.

"You were looking up!" he snapped, rubbing his temples like he was the only one carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

"I heard that!" His voice dripped with accusation, as if I’d committed some great offense.

Good, I thought. Let him hear me. I met his eyes with a steady glare. "Good for you!" I spat.

"Is this how you talk to your boss?" he asked, raising an eyebrow, his tone thick with sarcasm.

"Is this how you treat your employees?" I fired back, crossing my arms, refusing to back down.

His shoulders slumped in frustration, and he spun his chair around to face the small table by the side. Now he was directly in front of me, his eyes fixed on me, but I refused to let it shake me. I cleared my throat and looked away, pretending not to notice his gaze.

"Can you please teach me how to talk like you, Miss Mahira?" he mocked, and I could feel his smirk from across the room.

I snapped my head up, glaring at him. "Of course, I can teach you. But—" My stomach growled loudly, interrupting my sentence. I sighed, glaring even harder at him, annoyed. Of course, it’s his fault. I hadn’t eaten anything, and now I was starving. I glanced at the clock, then back at him, while he just sat there, looking as clueless as ever.

"This is all because of you!" I muttered.

"What?" His brows shot up.

"That I haven’t eaten anything, and now I’m hungry," I grumbled under my breath, watching as his eyes widened in amusement.

What’s so damn funny?

I got up from the couch, shooting him one last glare. Without a word, I stormed out, slamming the glass door behind me. 

"For God’s sake, Mahira!" I heard him call after me. "You’ll have to pay for that door if it breaks!"

I didn’t care. I was too frustrated, too hungry, and too tired to deal with him any longer. As I made my way toward the elevator, I could hear his footsteps behind me.

"Where are you going?" he asked, his voice suddenly sounding tired.

I turned and pointed toward the coffee machine. "It’s not working. I’m going to the canteen. I can’t function without coffee," I huffed, not bothering to hide my annoyance.