Enter the villains

Beneath a velvety cloak of darkness, the moon retreated behind ominous clouds, teasing the looming threat of rain. In the quaint town of Havenbrook, a dimly lit tavern named "The Poison Apple" stood as a sanctuary for enigmatic souls. Within its ancient walls, an assembly of individuals gathered, each with their own secrets and desires.

Amongst the eclectic gathering, a nekomata caught the eye of nearly everyone in the bar as she entered. Her pale blonde hair framed captivating blue eyes, resembling the twilight sky. Her feline features, complete with a twitching tail and pointed ears, added an air of mystique to her already striking appearance.

A young man, no older than twenty-five, with raven black hair and piercing red eyes, looked up from his tankard of ale. A mischievous grin spread across his lips as he recognized the newcomer. "Well, well, well, look who the cat dragged in," he drawled. "Stella, my dear, it's been far too long. Where have you been hiding, you no-good scamp?"

Stella, the nekomata in question, raised an elegant eyebrow. Her lips curled into a playful smirk. "Ah, Jaxon, my old friend," she replied, her voice like honeyed silk. "It's good to see you too. I've been keeping myself busy, traveling the world, getting into all sorts of trouble and mischief. But I suppose it's nice to be back in Havenbrook, among familiar faces."

Jaxon chuckled, his red eyes twinkling with amusement. "Mischief, you say? I can only imagine the tales you have to tell. But come, have a seat and join us. We've got plenty of stories of our own to share."

Stella gracefully took a seat at the table, her white fluffy feline tail curling around her feet. The group of adventurers and rogues welcomed her with open arms, eager to hear about her adventures and share their own.

In the dim-lit tavern, Jaxon's lips curled into a smirk as he tossed back a shot of rum. His gaze lingered on Stella, who sat across from him, her blue cat-like eyes narrowed in warning.

"So, have you found this missing sister of yours?" Jaxon taunted, his tone laced with sarcasm.

Stella's jaw clenched, and her hands tightened around her own mug. Her twin sister, Luna, had vanished without a trace when they were both five years old. Ever since, Stella had been on a relentless quest to find her, leaving no stone unturned.

"I'm closer than I've ever been," Stella replied through gritted teeth. "And when I do find her, you'll be the first to know."

Jaxon scoffed. "I'm sure I'll hear all about it," he said, his voice dripping with skepticism. "After all, you've been searching for what, ten years now? And still, no luck."

Stella's eyes flashed dangerously. "I won't give up until I find her," she vowed. "And when I do, I'll make sure she knows that you never believed in me."

Jaxon chuckled humorlessly. "I'll be waiting," he said, raising his mug in a mocking toast.

Stella watched him drain his drink and then stood up abruptly. "I'm done here," she said, throwing a few coins on the table. "Keep the change."

With that, she turned on her heel and walked out of the tavern, leaving Jaxon alone with his thoughts.

As Jaxon watched Stella go, a flicker of guilt crossed his face. He knew that his words had been cruel, but he couldn't help but feel a sense of frustration. He had known Stella for years, and he had seen firsthand the toll that her sister's disappearance had taken on her.

Still, he couldn't bring himself to believe that Luna was still alive. After all, ten years had passed without any sign of her. It seemed impossible that she could still be out there somewhere.

But as he watched Stella walk away, Jaxon couldn't shake the feeling that he was wrong. There was something in her eyes, a spark of determination that he couldn't ignore. And for the first time, he allowed himself to hope that maybe, just maybe, Stella would find her sister.