Chapter:The Letter

The night had settled over the campus, its silence punctuated only by the occasional rustle of leaves and the distant hum of streetlights. Lisa sat in her dorm room, the dim light of her desk lamp casting a soft glow over her bed. She was reading through her notes, trying to distract herself from the lingering tension of the day, when she heard a soft knock on her door.Curious, she opened it to find an envelope slipped under her door. The envelope was unmarked, but as she picked it up, she recognized the handwriting—neatly printed and unmistakably Valentino's. Her heart skipped a beat as she carefully tore open the envelope and unfolded the letter inside.Dear Lisa,I’m writing this letter because words escape me when I try to speak to you directly. I don’t know where to start or how to express everything I’m feeling right now. There’s so much I need to say, and I hope this letter helps me convey it all.We’ve been through so much together—ups and downs that seemed insurmountable at times. We made promises to each other, dreams that we built in our minds of a future together. I believed in those promises, Lisa. I believed that despite everything, we would find our way to each other.But now, as I sit here and think about everything that’s happened, I’m struggling to come to terms with the reality that you’ve shown interest in someone else. It’s like a sharp ache in my chest, one that I can’t seem to shake off. We had our share of problems, our moments of doubt, but I never thought it would come to this. To see you with someone else feels like a betrayal of everything we built together.I know that I was demanding, that I needed more than you were able to give. But I also know that I loved you deeply, and my feelings for you were real. If you’ve found what you were looking for with him, if he has somehow stolen your heart from me, then I want you to know that I’m giving it back to you. I want you to keep it, even though it hurts to say that. I’m grateful for the support you’ve given me, for the times you stood by me despite everything.I’m still in love with you, Lisa. That hasn’t changed. But I also know that love isn’t enough to fix everything, and I can’t keep holding on when you’ve already moved on. I hope you find the happiness you’re searching for.Take care of yourself, and remember that I will always have a place for you in my heart.Yours always,ValentinoLisa read the letter through twice, her emotions a chaotic swirl. Valentino’s words were raw, filled with pain and longing, but also a resignation that she hadn’t expected. She had hoped that the distance from Valentino would bring clarity, that it would solidify her decision to move on. But now, with this letter, everything seemed to blur once again.She felt a pang of guilt mixed with confusion. She had wanted to break free from the complications of her past, to find something new with Zaphyr. But Valentino’s letter made her question everything. The love and memories they had shared felt like a heavy burden now, a weight she wasn’t sure she was ready to carry.Lisa set the letter aside, her mind racing. She tried to focus on her breathing, to calm the storm of emotions that had erupted within her. The letter had been unexpected, and it left her feeling more lost than ever. She had thought she wanted to move on, but Valentino’s words reminded her of the depth of what they had shared.As she sat alone in her room, the silence around her felt oppressive. The night seemed to stretch on endlessly, filled with unanswered questions and a deep sense of melancholy. Lisa was caught between the past and the present, unsure of where to turn or what to feel. The certainty she had once felt about her decision now felt like a distant memory, and she was left grappling with the complicated feelings Valentino's letter had stirred within her.