Chapter 4: In the shadows

Aira:

I could barely see through the blur of my tears as the car sped down the deserted highway. The dim lights of the city vanished behind us, swallowed by the night, just like the hope that had been slowly seeping from my heart ever since he appeared at my doorstep.

I was trembling, every part of me resisting the reality of what was happening. I pressed myself against the door, wishing I could somehow escape this nightmare. The leather seat felt cold and suffocating beneath me, the space too small, too confined. My breath came in ragged gasps, the walls of the car closing in on me.

"Mr. Oberoi, please..." I choked out, my voice thick with desperation. "Take me back...please, I don't want to go with you."

But my words fell on deaf ears. Arsh sat next to me, his presence dominating the space, his eyes fixed ahead as if he hadn't heard me at all. His hands gripped his phone, his knuckles white, his jaw clenched in a way that made my heart race with fear.

I wanted to be with my Dad and Mom. I can't even imagine what they must be going through right now.

And Neil? What about him and his family?

"Stop the car, Mr. Oberoi!" I pleaded, my voice rising, panic overtaking me as I reached for the door handle, my fingers trembling uncontrollably. "Let me go! I am begging you!"

I preferred him keeping eyes on me but from a distance. I don't want this, I never did. I don't want him to break down the life I have created in pieces. He has no right to do this to me.

He didn't even flinch. Instead, he reached over, his hand grabbing my wrist in a vice-like grip, pulling me away from the door and forcing me back into my seat. His touch was cold, merciless sending a shiver down my spine.

"You are not going anywhere, Aira," he said, his voice low and menacing, a dangerous calm that made my skin crawl. "I am not letting you go."

I am not his to keep or let go. I don't even know this man who is my husband. He can't just abandon me and claim me whenever he feels like.

I struggled against his hold, my tears streaming down my face, my heart pounding so hard I thought it might burst. "You can't do this to me," I sobbed, my voice breaking. "You can't force me like this...you can't!"

His grip on my wrist tightened, a silent warning that there was no escape and if his scrunched eyebrows were any indication, he was annoyed. "I can, and I will," he replied coldly, his eyes dark and unforgiving as he finally turned to look at me. "Think whatever you want but you don't get to escape especially if you want to be with someone else. I already told you, Aira. You are mine. And you will do as I say."

I shook my head, I could accept anything but being by his side especially when Dad hates him for ruining my life.

"You know what? You do have an option Aira, save yourself from me." He paused, accessing my reaction as I opened my mouth urging him to tell me what was the option.

He smiled, that cold amd callous smile which is just ruthless and I knew already that it was going to be some sick amd twisted option I wouldn't go for even in my next seven lives. "Save yourself from me but then even I won't be able to save your family from my wraith."

My lips quivered knowing very well this was coming and I curled into myself as much I could and shifted away from him.

The weight of his words crushed any remaining resistance I had. I felt trapped, completely at his mercy, and the realization of just how powerless I was made my chest ache with a pain so sharp I could barely breathe.

"I don't want this," I whispered, my voice trembling as I tried to make him understand, to beg to whatever shred of humanity he had left. Maybe his heart will melt? "I don't want to be with you, Mr. Oberoi Please... just let me go."