10

I was out using the last bit of my monthly budget to buy some much needed groceries. Which wasn't much, that being said I scrounged up a box of ramen. Several cans of corn, beans, soups. I was able enough to get 2 loafs of bread but opted out of buying any meat. Not this time around I guess. I grabbed a couple more things and toilet paper before heading to the register.

"Ah the life of a broke student I remember the days." At first I didn't realize she was talking to me. The cashier smiled at me again and I flinched.

"I'm sorry. Were you talking to me?" I set the last loaf of bread down.

"Whom else would I be?" She gestures behind me to the empty line and I swallow with a nod. As she scans the items I stand in silence. It was uncomfortable but she occupies herself so it's not too bad. Then she asks. "What are you studying?" I hesitate. Looking at the few bags of stuff and sigh.

"I'm not I've been out of high school for almost 20 years now." I clear my throat as I hand her the last 32 dollars in my wallet. She blushes a bit.

"I'm sorry it seems I miss read the situation." I incline my head with a small 'hmmm' of acknowledgement. Before ignoring the couple pennies she'd owe me and grabbed my bags.

"Don't worry about it life sucks right now for a lot of people." I head off to the sliding doors. My eyes turn to check for any foot traffic I'd like to not bump into. As I scan I see a figure standing several isles back in the store. For a moment I do a double take. On the second look they are gone.

Hairs on my neck rise as I immediately recognize whom I believe I just saw. Without to much notice I attempt to bolt from the store. I didn't bring my car and for some fucked up reason I'm not able to relaxe.

I didn't hesitate much more and began hoofing it to my house. The dreadful feeling has me damn near sprinting but I can't shake the feeling. I don't look behind me despite me knowing what's there. The dreadful feeling hits me so hard that I take a turn into a local cafe.

I stop for a moment turning to look out the window. "Welcome in dear have a seat where ever you'd like." I nodded my thanks but made no move to sit. I just got out of the way of the door and yanked out my phone.

"C'mon." I had hit the first contact on my phone without question. But it only rang. On the 8th ring it went to voice mail.

"This is Leo. If you're hearing this and you're one of my friends don't bother with leaving a message, I'll call you back in a few minutes." I hung up before the tone and called again. This time there was an answer.

"Hello?" It was Gryffin. His voice was hoarse.

"Hey uhhh Gryffin it's Will." I swallowed and he hummed.

"Is everything okay?" He asked and I nodded despite him not seeing. I realized that if I explained to him, I could trigger a relapse or something worse. I also didn't know if Leo would even leave Gryffin's side right now to come help me.

Help you what!? Run from an invisible anxiety?

"Will?" I jumped a bit and spoke.

"Sorry ya I'm here I just uh... Well I... I don't really know why I called G. I'm sorry to bother you guys." I swallowed stepping out of the way of a elderly man coming into the shop. The bell chimed as Gryffin was speaking.

"Of course it's not a bother to talk to you Will. We were all just sitting in the living room." He paused when he heard the bell. "Were you out?" I nodded again.

"Ya.. ya I went umm grocery shopping." I trailed as the lady behind the counter eyed me.

"That's good." I could hear Leo in the distance and realized I was on speaker.