Chapter 2

A solemn hush draped the great hall like a funeral shroud as noon crept closer, and the court, shrouded in black, stood in reverent stillness, awaiting the Queen's new ward. Not a whisper stirred the air, as though the very walls of the grand chamber had absorbed all sound. It was an unsettling silence, one that held the weight of unsaid words, of grief unspoken.

Queen Louise, regal and aloof, sat high upon her gilded throne, a sentinel amidst the sea of mourners. Even her daughter, Matilda, was not afforded the comfort of a seat, standing dutifully at her mother's left. At Matilda's side stood Anet, her polished chainmail gleaming in the dim light, a ceremonial display for the approaching knighthood. To her left, Sharon, in her humble hand-sewn black dress, a quiet presence beside the royalty and their guards.

Time itself seemed to slow, stretching into an unbearable eternity, until the silence was shattered by the sudden, jarring call: "The Princess Genelyn Zapanta of House Zapanta!" The voice rang out, almost vulgar in its volume, echoing off the vaulted ceiling. Knights stiffened to attention, and Matilda drew a sharp breath, her heart skipping as her eyes flicked toward the entrance, awaiting the first glimpse of her cousin.

What struck her first was the absence of sound—no sharp clack of heels against the stone floor. It was a small thing, but after days on horseback, it made sense that Genelyn would forgo such formalities. Still, it felt out of place, like so many other things about her arrival. Genelyn glided across the floor, her steps so light it seemed she floated, her movements fluid, effortless, as though walking on air.

But it was the dress that seized Matilda's attention next—a dress that could only be described as a grievous error. Its beauty was undeniable, with an off-the-shoulder neckline and long, flowing sleeves, reminiscent of the courtly attire Matilda herself wore. Layers of soft tulle cascaded down, but the gown was a delicate rose pink. A jarring contrast to the sea of black that swathed the court, the color seemed to mock the kingdom's grief, the mourning for their fallen nobles and the queen's sworn kin. True, Genelyn's parents were not yet confirmed dead, but missing they remained—and yet, she wore pink.

Genelyn reached the queen, her figure bowing low in a graceful curtsey. Queen Louise rose slowly from her throne, her movement as deliberate as the silence that hung between them. As she straightened, Genelyn met her gaze, her dark brown eyes gleaming with a trace of mischief. A strand of light brown hair slipped loose, catching the sunlight with golden streaks as she tossed it back carelessly, a smile playing on her lips. Matilda felt her brow furrow, but she quickly masked her expression with forced neutrality.

"Welcome, Princess Genelyn–"

"Gen!" the young princess interrupted, her voice bold, ringing through the hall.

A ripple passed through the gathered court, an audible intake of breath as all eyes shifted to the audacious girl who had dared interrupt the queen. Whispers fluttered through the crowd like leaves in the wind, and Queen Louise's poised head tilted slightly, her gaze narrowing ever so subtly.

"Pardon?" the queen inquired, her voice cool as steel.

"I prefer to be called Gen," the girl clarified, smiling as if she hadn't just broken every rule of court decorum.

There was a moment of tension so sharp it could be felt in the air. The queen's rose-tinted lips parted, and after a pause, she spoke with slow, deliberate care. "Very well. Gen it is, then."

Queen Louise's voice rang out once more, this time with regal solemnity, "Welcome, Princess Gen, to the court of Nevernia. In the wake of the sudden vanishing of your noble parents, my dear brother- and sister-in-law, it may seem but a small comfort, yet I am honoured to accept you as my ward. I trust that Vale Serine will come to be a place you hold dear, and that, in time, you will grow to love it as much as my children and I do. We shall host a grand feast in your honour at week's end, but for now, I extend the court's most gracious welcome to you, Gen, to Nevernia."