Chapter 4

Cassie wiped the sweat from her brow, watching with faint amusement as the new recruits fumbled through the last of their drills. A smirk tugged at her lips—utterly ridiculous. It never ceased to amaze her how the kingdom's so-called finest could be such a mismatched bunch of nerves and clumsy swordplay. One recruit had dropped his sword twice within the hour. Twice. She had stopped counting their mistakes after that.

Shaking her head, Cassie turned away from the yard, her boots crunching softly against the dirt as she headed toward the gate. The morning sun still hung low in the sky, casting long shadows that stretched over the streets of Seven Crest. Nestled in the heart of Vale Serine, the town was a whirl of color and sound. Its narrow streets bustled with life—lined with taverns, restaurants, and makeshift stages where street performers captivated crowds. Jugglers tossed bright, spinning objects into the air, entertaining children, while lively musicians filled the air with cheerful melodies. The rich scents of roasted meats, spiced bread, and the distinct tang of the local brews swirled together in a heady mix, carried on the breeze alongside the chatter and laughter of the townsfolk.

Seven Crest was everything the recruits were not—chaotic, vibrant, and full of life. It made Cassie smile as she approached The Gilded Stag, her good friend Erin's tavern. Just the thought of Erin's quick wit and steady company was enough to lift her mood.

Nestled at the edge of the bustling square, The Gilded Stag stood proudly with its dark oak frame and rustic charm. Lanterns, hanging from iron hooks, cast a warm glow over the entrance, while a silver stag carved above the door gave the place its name—a nod to Vale Serine's deep-rooted ties to the land. Inside, the tavern was just as welcoming. Long, polished wooden tables stretched across the room, each adorned with simple iron candelabras. The walls were draped with tapestries depicting lush forests and wild creatures, lending the space a cozy, almost enchanted feel.

As soon as Cassie stepped through the door, she spotted Erin behind the bar, her dirty blonde hair pulled back into a neat ponytail as always. Erin had an effortless way of managing the tavern, her sharp wit and friendly demeanour making The Gilded Stag one of the most beloved spots in town.

"Cassie! Done with training already?" Erin called out, wiping down the counter as Cassie slid onto a stool.

"Done? More like survived," Cassie replied with a wry smile. "The recruits are hopeless. I've seen chickens with better coordination."

Erin laughed, setting a wooden tankard in front of her, filled with the amber-colored appleberry brew that was a favourite in Vale Serine. "You look like you need something to take the edge off after dealing with that circus."

Cassie took a grateful sip, savouring the sweet, tart taste of the local brew. "I definitely needed this. And some food, if you've got anything ready."

Without missing a beat, Erin vanished into the kitchen and returned with a steaming plate of Roast Pyrelark with Wild Sage. The bird was a specialty in Vale Serine, known for its tender meat and the spicy kick of its roasted skin. It was served with a side of wild roots and greens, drizzled with a honey glaze that gave the dish a perfect balance of sweet and savoury.

Cassie dug in, her eyes closing briefly as she savoured the flavours. "Erin, you'll have to teach the royal cooks how to make this. They've got nothing on you."

Erin chuckled, waving her hand dismissively. "I wouldn't last a day in that palace, Cassie. More likely an hour."

Cassie smirked. "Fair point."

As she finished her meal, a flicker of movement caught her eye. In the corner of the tavern sat a woman with a dark braid cascading down her back. She wore a cloak, but it was the insignia stitched into the fabric that caught Cassie's attention—the unmistakable mark of the Kingdom of Wyvern. A frown tugged at her brow as recognition stirred. Genelyn... Princess Matilda's cousin was from that kingdom, wasn't she? The woman looked familiar, but Cassie couldn't quite place where she had seen her before.