III. DANBURRY

The sun was taking its time setting, painting the sky in shades of pink and purple. The leaves from the trees had fallen to the ground, creating a cushy blanket beneath them. Birds flew in flocks, putting on a lively show in the air. Robin was fixing Knox's hair and adjusting his blazer. He was clearly nervous and uncomfortable; his desire to attend the dinner was nonexistent. He twisted under her fingers as she adjusted his tie. They shared one last laugh before Knox was told it was time to go.

-Ready, Overstreet? -Hager asked, approaching the door and flinging it open.

-Remember, Knoxious, head up, chin high -she said playfully, mimicking the steps and giving a small bow. Knox managed a shy smile, catching her enthusiasm.

-See you later, Roxy -he said as he walked out the door and headed toward the car, leaving his friend alone in the main hall of the school.

Robin stood alone in the hall, admiring the beautiful sunset. She pulled out her watch and checked the time; she was ten minutes late. She mentally cursed her forgetfulness. She had a study session with the guys and didn't want to be too late.

She headed to the library, a quiet place where students usually gathered to study. Upon entering, she found the place quite busy. Her friends were already settled around a long table, engrossed in their books.

-Sorry I'm late -Robin apologized, sliding between Neil and Charlie- I was helping Knox get ready. What are you guys studying?

-Trig -Neil responded kindly- What are you reading? -He said pointing at the book she was holding.

-I'm reading "Peter and Wendy" -Robin said, opening her book with enthusiasm.

-I thought you were reading "Breakfast at Tiffany's" -Dalton interrupted with a cheeky grin.

-Stop chatting and focus -Cameron grumbled, visibly annoyed by the interruptions.

-Relax, Cameron, we still have plenty of exercises to do -Neil reassured him.

-Oh, I've covered that; it's easy -Robin offered, ready to help. Her friends looked at her a bit confused, but eventually agreed to take her help. Welton Academy was one of the most advanced schools, How was she ahead of them?

── .✦

Meeks and Pitts were at the end of the table working with their radio, while Todd read his chemistry book at another table. Robin was with her friends, trying to explain some excercises without much success. Charlie, a bit tired, decided to make a paper ball and throw it to Spaz's head, causing Robin to chuckle lightly, though she wasn't entirely happy with the prank. She quickly refocused on her work while Neil tried to make sense of Cameron's explanations.

-The numbers by the X, of X and D -Cameron explained to Neil. Charlie gave a confused look, and the girl watched the situation with disappointment.

-Sure... -Neil mumbled, still not quite understanding what Cameron was trying to say.

-And what's the problem then? -Robin asked, but he only looked at her with more confusion. She sighed and glanced toward the door.

At that exact moment, she saw Knox walk in. His face lit up when he saw the only person capable of saving her from the dull situation she was in. However, her smile faded when she saw him slumped against the door with his jacket draped over his shoulder; he looked a bit downcast and disheartened. Robin squeezed Charlie's hand twice. When he turned to look at her, she nodded her head toward Knox.

-How was the dinner? -Dalton asked.

-Huh?

-How was the dinner? - Charlie repeated.