Chapter Eight: Saving My Twin

The room was filled with a tense silence, the rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor suddenly faltering. Vivaan’s heart skipped a beat as he noticed the flatline on the screen. His entire world seemed to tilt in that moment, the sound of the alarm piercing the air, signaling that Aarav’s heart had stopped.

“Code blue!” shouted one of the nurses, breaking the silence, and suddenly the room exploded into action. Vivaan, frozen for a split second, snapped into motion, adrenaline coursing through his veins.

“Aarav’s in cardiac arrest,” Dr. Shankar confirmed, his voice urgent but calm. “We need to revive him immediately.”

Vivaan’s mind raced. The procedure had gone smoothly. Aarav’s heart had restarted, albeit weakly, but he had stabilized. How could this be happening now? There was no time to question it. His brother’s life was hanging in the balance, and Vivaan had to act.

“Defibrillator, now!” Vivaan barked, his voice laced with desperation.

A nurse quickly handed him the paddles, already charged and ready. Vivaan’s hands trembled for a split second before he steadied himself. He couldn’t let emotions cloud his actions, not now, not when Aarav’s life was slipping away.

“Clear!” Vivaan shouted, pressing the paddles to Aarav’s chest.

A sharp jolt coursed through Aarav’s body, lifting it slightly off the table, but the flatline continued. Vivaan’s stomach clenched painfully as he glanced at the monitor—no response.

“Charge it again!” he yelled, fighting the panic rising in his chest.

The paddles were recharged, and Vivaan pressed them to Aarav’s chest once more, his mind racing through the steps of resuscitation. He knew what to do, but this was different—this was his brother. The person who knew him better than anyone, the person whose life was intricately tied to his own.

“Clear!” Vivaan repeated, his voice more urgent now.

The second shock jolted Aarav’s body again, but still, the monitor showed no sign of life. The piercing wail of the flatline seemed to echo through the room, drowning out all reason.

“Come on, Aarav. Come back,” Vivaan muttered under his breath, sweat dripping down his brow. He couldn’t lose him. Not now, not like this.

“Charge it again,” Vivaan ordered, his voice strained.

“Vivaan—” Dr. Shankar’s voice cut in, but Vivaan shook his head, silencing him. He wasn’t ready to give up, not yet.

“We’re losing time,” Dr. Shankar said, his tone warning, but there was no hesitation in Vivaan’s next movement.

“Clear!” Vivaan shouted for the third time, his hands gripping the defibrillator paddles as if his very life depended on it.

Another jolt.

Another agonizing moment of waiting.

Still nothing.

“No… No, no, no!” Vivaan’s voice cracked as he slammed the paddles down on the table. His vision blurred as the reality of what was happening began to hit him. His brother, his twin, was slipping further away, and there was nothing he could do. Desperation gnawed at his chest like a wild animal, tearing at the calm veneer he had tried to maintain.

Dr. Shankar stepped in. “Vivaan, we’ve tried. We need to—”

“Again!” Vivaan cut him off, his voice hoarse. His hands trembled as he reached for the paddles once more, refusing to listen to reason, refusing to acknowledge the growing hopelessness in the room.

“Vivaan—” Dr. Shankar began again, but Vivaan wouldn’t hear it.

“Charge it again,” he snapped, his eyes wild, his heart hammering in his chest.

The room fell into an uneasy silence as the defibrillator charged once more. Vivaan’s hands hovered over Aarav’s chest, his knuckles white from the grip on the paddles. The seconds felt like hours, and the weight of the world pressed down on him.

“Clear!” he shouted, his voice barely masking the sheer terror he felt.

The fourth shock rippled through Aarav’s body. Vivaan’s eyes darted to the monitor, his breath caught in his throat.

Then, a faint blip.

It was small, but it was there—a sign of life. The heart monitor beeped weakly, but it was enough to fill the room with a collective sigh of relief.

“He’s back,” Dr. Shankar murmured, his voice soft but filled with cautious optimism.

Vivaan stood frozen for a moment, staring at the monitor as if willing the faint line to stay steady. His chest heaved, the adrenaline still surging through his veins, but his hands slowly lowered the defibrillator paddles. Aarav’s heart had started again, but it was fragile, and they weren’t out of danger yet.

“Stabilize him,” Vivaan ordered quietly, his voice barely audible, as the team moved swiftly to ensure Aarav’s vitals didn’t plummet again. His knees nearly gave out as the weight of the last few minutes hit him all at once.

Dr. Shankar placed a hand on Vivaan’s shoulder, squeezing gently. “You did it. He’s back.”

Vivaan nodded, though his mind was still reeling. His breath was shaky, his thoughts scattered. Aarav’s heart was still weak, and they would need to monitor him closely, but for now, his brother was alive.

Vivaan’s eyes rested on Aarav’s face, pale but peaceful, his chest rising and falling with shallow breaths. The bond between them—the connection that had been their strength since birth—felt even more fragile now. Aarav had come so close to slipping away, and Vivaan had nearly lost him.

He let out a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding, his body sagging in exhaustion. The battle wasn’t over, but for now, they had won this round.

“Aarav…” Vivaan whispered, reaching out to take his brother’s hand, his voice thick with emotion. “Stay with me, okay? I need you.”

Aarav’s fingers didn’t move, but Vivaan held on, willing his brother to feel his presence, willing him to fight. The machines beeped softly, their rhythm like a heartbeat of hope.

For now, hope was all they had.