Chapter 5.3: Deimos

The Driftwood cut through Deimos's atmosphere and shot through the night sky towards a shining gem of a city. It glistened like a diamond, radiated with lights, and rested on the cliff face. Underneath it, arched tunnels let a colossal river run through and cascade into a magnificent, earth-shaking waterfall. The ravenous sea below beat against the coast's jagged rocks, and save for the city, the planet's expanse was pitch black. The diamond-like city was the sole beacon.

It didn't surprise Redha that its main draw was its ornate casino. Black onyx columns towered high, gold laced the trim, and red carpet ran down the marble stairs at the center. The city was built around this epicenter, and travelers showed in droves.

The ships alongside the Driftwood were the sleekest Redha had ever seen. Their curves caught light at perfect angles, their hulls were waxed and shined like reflective mirrors, and their frames were lightyears ahead of any ships or skiffs on Earth.

"Woahhh..." she was enamored, pulled out her LINK, and took pictures.

Deegan let her enjoy. He slipped a finger beneath the yoke, initiated the autopilot, and enjoyed her excitement.

"Better take your pics now, they won't let you do that inside."

"I'll find a way," she said, turned towards Deegan, and told him, "Smile!"

Redha snapped a photo of him with the casino, and she flicked her LINK out and showed him.

"Nice view."

"Right?" She zoomed in on the casino, but Deegan panned away and focused on his face.

"Just zoom in there and its perfect for your background."

She playfully smacked his hand away, "Pfft, yeah, okay."

"You don't think?"

The autopilot dipped their ship towards the casino. They pierced through the waterfall's mist and skimmed the river's surface. The ship flew underneath the casino, through the tunnel, and followed the gas lamps. The channel was so deep, so wide, that the tens, if not hundreds, of skiffs Redha marveled at earlier were flying side by side with them. All ships followed the same course, and landed at the dock, where valets awaited.

"Follow my lead," Deegan said as they docked. He closed his eyes, breathed deep, and the light around him shimmered. It changed and refracted new imagery. His clothes changed into a crisp, fresh suit. His lapel was adorned with two, blue holo pins. His hair was slicked back, and Deegan noticed Redha watching. He decided to tease her.

He feigned modesty and covered himself with a holographic towel.

"Hey, don't look! I'm changing!"

"Yeah, like there's anything to see." She playfully plucked his holographic towel with a finger and peeled it away.

"Woahhh, no peeking!" Underneath his towel was a giant red X. "We'll save that for later." He winked at Redha, and she shook her head.

"You're too much."

"No one remembers the quiet ones."

Deegan opened up the cockpit and left the skiff.

"Hey!" She got out and followed. "Where's my hologram?"

"They're just for me," he said, and noticed the valet watching them. "Wait here a sec and I'll get you something better." He left, and Redha waited in the open while Deegan went inside.

While everyone around her was formally dressed, she was in her same leather jacket, ragged white shirt, and bright red scarf. She felt awkward, leaned against her skiff, and was stuck waiting. The only other person was a man that looked more like a bouncer than a valet.