2.Chaos in the City

Rimuru leaned back on the park bench, looking out at the bustling city. The modern world of Earth was a far cry from the magic-filled lands of Tempest, yet there was a sense of comfort in the familiarity. Humans strolled through the park, children laughed and played, and the sun shone warmly overhead. It all felt surprisingly peaceful.

Beside him, Tiss and Jeff, two of his teachers, were still reeling from the sudden shift in realities.

Tiss: “So… let me get this straight, Rimuru-sama. You’re from this world? Earth?”

Jeff: “And now we’re back here… on Earth, with all these humans who don’t even know about monsters or magic?”

Rimuru nodded, a slight smile playing on his lips.

Rimuru: “Yeah, it’s pretty different from Tempest, huh? No magic, no monsters, just normal people living normal lives.”

Before they could continue the conversation, a new presence made itself known. Leaning against a nearby tree was none other than Leon Cromwell, Demon Lord and ruler of El Dorado. His golden eyes scanned the surroundings with an intensity that only Rimuru noticed. Leon’s connection to Earth was much deeper than most of the others realized.

Leon: “Normal? That depends on your perspective.”

Rimuru turned toward Leon, offering a knowing smile. Of course, Leon would have his own views. After all, he, too, was originally from this world—an Earth that he had left behind long ago.

Rimuru: “Ah, right. You’re from here too, aren’t you? It must feel weird being back after all this time.”

Leon pushed off the tree, his eyes narrowing slightly as he gazed at the modern skyline.

Leon: “It’s changed… but not as much as you’d think.”

Tiss and Jeff exchanged confused glances, not entirely sure what to make of the conversation. They had learned about Leon being from Earth before, but hearing him talk about it so casually was still strange.

Tiss: “Wait… so Leon-sama is from here as well? Does that mean he remembers how this world works?”

Leon’s expression softened, though there was a guarded look in his eyes.

Leon: “I remember enough.”

Earth was not something Leon thought about often, but now that he was back, memories he had long buried were resurfacing. Unlike Rimuru, who had died and been reincarnated into a new life, Leon had been summoned as a young man—pulled into the other world abruptly. The contrast between his life here and the one he had lived in the world of magic couldn’t be starker.

Just then, Diablo’s voice rang through Rimuru’s mind via Thought Communication.

Diablo: “Rimuru-sama, I have secured the perimeter. Shall I continue monitoring the others?”

Rimuru sighed. Even in a place like Earth, Diablo couldn’t relax. The demon’s loyalty was commendable, but it was sometimes over the top.

Rimuru: “Diablo, there’s no need to be so cautious. This is Earth, not the battlefield. Take it easy.”

Diablo’s response was tinged with reluctance.

Diablo: “As you wish, Rimuru-sama. But if anything were to happen…”

Before Rimuru could respond, a loud crash echoed from a nearby fast-food restaurant, followed by the sound of boisterous laughter. Rimuru didn’t even need to look to know who it was. Sure enough, Milim and Veldora came barreling out of the restaurant, their arms filled with bags of food.