22. Awakening

Daniel

- I'm ready! Take my wings!

She almost whispered.

- NO RACHEL!

I screamed, but it was already too late! A chilling "crack" was heard, accompanied by two bolts of lightning that fell from the sky onto Rachel's wings!

I was shaken away by their thrusting force. I barely managed to see him smile before I closed my eyes.

At the same time, I could hear Rachel screaming in pain, but she wasn't the only one! I could hear my own screams too! I didn't understand at first what had happened. I thought lightning had struck me too. Shocked by the sudden pain, I dropped to my knees. With a last ditch effort, I managed to turn my gaze to her, to make sure she was okay, though I could barely breathe in pain as the little bit of oxygen I was getting was already too much for me, adding more burning inside me, feeling horrible pains all over my body!

Rachel, rather passed out on the cold pavement, from a luminous light that was originally as a guardian, the light grew darker and darker, leaving a distinct outline around her! Despite her pain, I heard her whispering weakly.

- You said...one of the two... You can't hurt him...

- Oops! I missed a small detail. My fault my dear!

I could hear him talking so awkwardly, as if a child had been caught by its mother, doing a prank.

- Now you are both exactly the same! A fallen guardian and a fallen angel with flesh and blood, united in spirit, which means that the pain of one person is also felt by the other! So Daniel felt exactly what you felt when your wings broke!

He explained with sadistic pleasure.

- NO!!!

Rachel screamed in tears!

You tricked me!

- Yes, that was my intention! I can't deny it!

He said shamelessly, shrugging off his shoulders.

-... just like I tricked Daniel! After all, it's a lot of fun when I know how to use my weapons! It was so easy! You are so predictable and I guess I am very good at my job! I must congratulate myself!

He said and started laughing, enjoying and laughing at our pain!

I felt half dead, but I didn't care about me as much as I cared about Rachel's condition!

I crawled with all my might to her, as much as I could...

- You are both so pathetic that even I feel sorry for you...

- At least disappear and let us die in peace!

I hissed through my teeth full of pain.

- No Daniel, don't worry you won't die! You are both mortal, yes, in that sense... yes, you will die at some point, when you grow old, but not yet!

I just wanted him to shut it up and leave us alone. To disappear so I don't hear him. But we were both weak, at his mercy! Unfortunately as if he knew how to torture us even more, he was standing over us taunting us!