Chapter 19 || Dolls

I scrambled to my feet and rushed to the door. The knob refused to budge.

"Jade!" Kai called, his voice muffled from the other side.

The door rattled violently in its frame.

"Stay put!" Taji's voice joined in. "We'll get you out. Don't leave the roo—"

A shock of cold magic snapped the air, cutting off their voices. Arcane symbols flared across the wood, searing themselves into the surface.

For a moment, only my rapid breathing filled the silence. Then a slow, eerie creak sounded behind me.

I swallowed hard and turned around.

The dolls in the room were moving. One by one, they swiveled their eyeless heads toward me, their neck joints creaking with each shift.

Yeah, there was no way I was staying put.

I bolted to the opposite door. It swung open without resistance, revealing a murky corridor.

A thud echoed behind me, followed by a whisper of childish laughter that sent a chill down my spine. Dark, vile energy licked at my heels. It felt wrong, sickeningly wrong, like the cold touch of a decayed hand.

Every muscle tensed. I glanced back.

A doll with a smudged smile stood inside the room, the same cursed aura clinging to her like a cloak.

Dark magic.

This place wasn't abandoned. It was a trap.

And I was alone.

It singled you out, Paxton had said.

One bodyguard isn't enough, he'd said.

Then why was it that every time—every damn time—something went wrong, none of my so-called bodyguards were ever around?

I didn't blame the kids. No, this was Paxton's doing. He'd insisted on my protection, feeding me a false sense of security.

Now Kai had my backpack—with most of my guns, supplies, and the messenger scrolls.

I was left with a flashlight, a revolver with quartz bullets, some salt, magic ink, and two last tourmaline barrier gems.

Okay. I couldn't panic now. I was a witch. Dark magic didn't scare me. Right.

I reached into my fanny pack and dropped one of the black tourmaline stones at my feet. In an instant, some of the pressure vanished.

Now I needed a way out.

Doors lined the hall, but each slammed shut as I approached as if the house itself was toying with me.

Heart pounding, I sprinted further down the hall. One door began to swing closed, but I caught it just in time, slipping through before it could shut completely behind me.

Ahead, a steep stairway descended into darkness. Without hesitating, I took out my salt pouch and emptied it in a small line along the threshold. It was a weak ward, but better than nothing. Then, I hurried down the stairs.

At least I had light. Slipping on these steps in the dark would've just taken the cake. I made it to the bottom and found myself in what looked like a library. High bookshelves rose before me, blocking my view of the other side.

I weaved through the aisles, only to hit a dead end.

What should I do? I couldn't properly work magic in a house that was already warded.

A distant shuffling came from above.

Freaking hell. Think, Jade.

Desperation clawed at me as I fumbled for the last tourmaline gem in my pocket. I didn't want to use it unless I had no other choice. I still had my protection charm, but how long could it hold if I was trapped?