chapter 1 - first day jitters

RRRRING!

Chris startled awake from his nightmare to his alarm ringing. He took a couple deep breaths to calm himself from the tragic nightmare and from the scare of the alarm. He hit the top of the clock to stop it. The clock read 6:00am. Bright and early.

He swung his legs over the side of the bed and sighed, grabbing his thin silver rimmed glasses from the bedside table. You can do this. You have to do this.

Eomma and Appa are depending on you.

Chris got up and grabbed a pair of boxers before heading to the bathroom. He turned the shower water cold and stepped in. Oh, how he loved cold showers. They were just so refreshing, especially in the early morning.

He quickly washed his hair and his body before grabbing his towel and wrapping it around his waist, just in case Lucas or, god forbid, Hannah had to come into the bathroom. Chris ruffled his hair, shaking his head like a dog. He grabbed the blue toothbrush and the toothpaste and started scrubbing at his teeth.

Two minutes later he pulled on his boxers and was ready to go to his room to quickly dry his hair and change. He opened to door to a sleepy looking Hannah, and he jumped about a foot in the air.

"Jesus! Hannah, why are you up? Go back to bed!" he hissed in a fright, hastily wrapping his towel around himself.

"I need to..*yawnnn* get ready," she mumbled. Chris frowned.

"You need to sleep. Come on kiddo, back to bed, even if you just lay down. I'll come and get you at 6:45, alright? Your bus won't come until 7:30 or later, don't worry. I've got everything under control." He guided the still exhausted Hannah back to her room and she collapsed on the bed. He smiled softly to himself, seeing her peaceful for once. She was a nervous wreck starting a new school year in a new school. And it was middle school for god's sakes. Seeing her so relaxed was something you saw few and far between.

Chris sighed as he dried his legs off with the towel before quickly pulling on black ripped skinny jeans. He grabbed the oversized black sweater hanging on his hook, ready for him before pulling it on and moving on to lace up his combat boots. He looked over at the clock and sighed. 6:30. He couldn't decide if he wanted time to go faster or slower.

Chris headed down the stairs quietly, beginning to quickly pack his school bag. Chromebook, notebooks, binder, pencil case. Right? He could only hope.

He started to grab little snacks and some food for Hannah and Lucas, packing their bento box containers neatly with bulgogi, rice, and kimchi. He worked extra hard to make Lucas's extra cute with the little eyeball toothpicks, since he was still at the age where he liked it. He made Hannah's look "preppy" as she liked to say.

He looked at the stove for the time and saw that it was already almost 6:45. Hannah would want him to wake her up.

Chris carefully went back upstairs, opening Hannah's door after two small knocks without a response. He saw her passed out in the same position that he left her in. He quietly walked over to her and rubbed her arm softly.

"Hannah? Wake up, it's 6:45. Just like you wanted," he whispered. Hannah groaned as she woke, blinking up at Chris.

"A-Appa?" she asked in her sleepy state. Chris fought the urge to cry.

"No kiddo, just me. First day of middle school! I made your lunch already, get yourself ready and I'll tell you when it's 7:15, okay?" Hannah sat up and rubbed her eyes, nodding.

"Thanks oppa," she mumbled. Chris smiled and left, closing the door so she could change. He was always extra careful with Hannah, since she was almost a teenager and she was a girl. He didn't really know how she'd feel about him in the next couple years so he tried to be accommodating and give her as much privacy as she needed.