Chapter 6

Mina Ashiro sat at her desk, the soft glow of the monitor casting a pale light across the darkened office. Her fingers moved fluidly over the keyboard as she finished the latest round of mission reports. The weight of command had become second nature to her—endless paperwork, analyzing field data, and ensuring the 3rd Division was always ready for battle. As the captain, Mina's focus was unyielding, her dedication unmatched. But even as she worked, her thoughts occasionally drifted to her younger brother, Miguel.

She hadn't seen him since their last tense encounter at the Defense Force headquarters, where he barely acknowledged her. It left a sting, but Mina buried those feelings, pushing through her duties as always.

The quiet of the room was interrupted by a soft knock at the door. Mina glanced up, spotting a familiar figure entering. It was Kikoru Shinomiya, the daughter of General Isao Shinomiya and the rising star of the 3rd Division. At just 18, Kikoru had already proven herself to be one of the division's finest officers, second only to Soshiro Hoshina and Mina herself. Her precision in battle and relentless determination were traits Mina respected deeply.

“Captain Ashiro,” Kikoru greeted, stepping into the room with a report in hand. She walked with a confident stride, as always, her sharp gaze unwavering.

Mina nodded. “Shinomiya. Come in.”

Kikoru approached the desk, placing the report neatly in front of Mina. “This is the latest mission report on Kaiju activity in the western sectors. We’ve secured the perimeter, and our scouts haven’t picked up any unusual movement.”

Mina glanced over the report briefly before setting it aside for further review. “Good work, as usual. You’ve been thorough.”

Kikoru gave a small nod, her usual calm demeanor in place. But something was off. As she stood there, a slight hesitation crept into her posture. Her gaze shifted downward, and for a moment, she seemed unsure of herself—something Mina had rarely seen in the young officer.

Mina raised an eyebrow, sensing the change. “Is there something else, Shinomiya?”

Kikoru bit her lip, her hands tightening slightly at her sides before she finally spoke, her voice quieter than usual. “I… I wanted to ask you something, Captain.” She paused, then lowered her head slightly. “It’s about your brother… Miguel.”

Mina’s breath hitched for a moment, though her expression remained neutral. She hadn’t expected this. Miguel was not a subject she discussed often, especially with subordinates. But Kikoru’s sudden shift in demeanor intrigued her.

“What about him?” Mina asked, her tone measured.

Kikoru seemed to struggle with her words, as if unsure how to phrase what she wanted to say. “I’ve been thinking about him since he joined the 1st Division. He’s… really strong, isn’t he? He’s already Vice-Captain under Gen Narumi. I didn’t know much about him before that, but he’s been making quite an impact.”

Mina leaned back slightly in her chair, her eyes narrowing slightly. “He is strong. Miguel’s worked hard to get where he is.”

Kikoru hesitated again, her fists clenching at her sides. “Captain, I don’t mean to overstep, but… do you think Miguel feels the same way about you? I mean, you’re both so strong and respected, but there’s this… distance between you two. I noticed it back at the headquarters.”

Mina’s gaze sharpened. Kikoru’s words struck deeper than the young officer might have realized. The distance between her and Miguel was something Mina had been aware of for years, but it wasn’t something she often allowed herself to dwell on.

She remained silent for a moment, considering how to respond. Kikoru’s curiosity wasn’t out of place, but it touched on a part of her life Mina rarely discussed. Still, there was no use in pretending it didn’t affect her.