Chapter 6 - Fractured Unity and Fight

Ayanokoji Pov

Sunday mornings had a certain stillness to them at Advanced Nurturing High School. The campus was quieter, most students taking advantage of the weekend to relax or catch up on schoolwork. For me, it was a time for reflection, to think through the next moves on the board, and to observe the subtle shifts in the atmosphere around me.

This Sunday, though, was different.

I made my way to Kanzaki's room, my steps unhurried. He had messaged me earlier, asking if I could stop by for a conversation. It wasn't unexpected. Ever since I transferred to Ichinose's class, I had anticipated something like this. Kanzaki wasn't someone who acted impulsively, he liked to weigh his options, to think things through. But in moments like these, it was often those who thought they understood the situation who were easiest to influence.

I knocked lightly on the door, and after a brief moment, it swung open. Kanzaki stood there, his expression as calm and composed as ever, though I could sense the underlying tension. He stepped aside, motioning for me to enter.

"Morning, Ayanokoji," he greeted, his voice polite but measured.

"Morning," I replied, stepping into the room.

The space was neat, organized just as I expected from someone like Kanzaki. He gestured toward a small table near the window, where two chairs were positioned.

"Coffee or tea?" he asked, moving toward a small electric kettle on the counter.

"Tea is fine," I said, taking a seat. Kanzaki seemed like the type to prefer tea, so it was an easy choice.

As he prepared the tea, I watched him quietly, noting the way his movements were methodical, almost rehearsed. Kanzaki was someone who prided himself on control, control of his actions, his emotions, and his decisions. But even someone like him wasn't immune to doubt, especially in a situation like this.

He placed a cup of tea in front of me and sat across the table, his gaze steady as he studied me.

"I wanted to talk," he began, his tone careful. "Now that you're part of our class, I thought it would be good to clear the air."

I nodded, taking a sip of the tea. "That makes sense."

Kanzaki paused, as if gathering his thoughts. "Ichinose... she hasn't been the same lately. Ever since the end of the second year, things have changed. The class feels... different."

There was a brief silence as his words hung in the air. I could see the concern etched in his expression, the way his brow furrowed slightly as he spoke. Kanzaki had always been loyal to Ichinose, but even he couldn't ignore the changes.

I leaned back slightly in my chair, keeping my tone neutral. "Change is inevitable. Especially after what happened."

He nodded, though there was still a flicker of hesitation in his eyes. "I know. But the class seems... lost. Ichinose's leadership was always about unity, about keeping everyone together. But now, it feels like that unity is falling apart."

I took another sip of tea, allowing the silence to stretch just long enough for the weight of his words to settle. Kanzaki was searching for reassurance, for someone to tell him that everything would go back to the way it was. But that wasn't how things worked here. The cracks had already formed, and now it was just a matter of widening them.

"Leadership isn't easy," I said quietly, my voice measured. "Especially when the foundation it's built on starts to shift."

Kanzaki's eyes narrowed slightly, as if he was trying to read between the lines. "What do you mean?"