Chapter 9

A few days had passed since Thanksgiving, and the Seattle rain is back in full force, drumming softly against the window of my apartment. I sit on the couch, cradling a mug of tea while Liam sprawled out in the armchair across from me, sips his coffee.

"So," Liam starts, tilting his head with that curious smile of his, "how was your Thanksgiving? Or should I say, how was your fancy Thanksgiving at Morrison's mansion?"

I let out a small laugh, but the memories of that day make my stomach twist. "It was... something," I say, pausing to gather my thoughts. "His family is a lot. The house was exactly what you'd expect—huge, elegant, intimidating."

Liam leans forward, eyebrows raised. "Sounds like home..."

"Pretty much," I admit, smiling despite myself. "But it wasn't just that. The whole time, I felt like I didn't belong there, like I was playing a part. His mother kept giving me these looks—like she was measuring me, deciding if I was worthy."

"And Morrison?" Liam asks, his tone careful.

I sigh, thinking back to how out of place I'd felt, even with Morrison by my side. "He was great, actually. He made sure I wasn't totally lost in their world, and he tried to include me in conversations, but it's just... being around all that wealth, it brought back a lot of old feelings, you know?"

Liam nods, his expression softening with understanding. "Yeah, I get it. That world's a far cry from what you're used to now."

"Exactly," I say, leaning back into the couch. "It reminded me of everything I'm trying to leave behind. The whole night, I kept thinking about how I promised myself I'd never go back to that kind of life. And yet, there I was."

Liam takes a sip of his coffee, then grins. "At least you survived. No dramatic family arguments, I hope?"

I chuckle. "Surprisingly, no. But... I did overhear something."

Liam smirks. "Oh?"

"Well, I was going to the bathroom..." I release a deep breath. "And I heard his parents talking. They were disappointed in him for dating a bartender, and then his mother said... he should know better than to date a Black woman."

His eyebrows shoot up. "You're kidding?" He shakes his head. "I'm so sorry you had to hear something like that. People with their outdated beliefs and prejudices... it's pathetic."

"I agree. I mean, it bothered me so much, I think, because I've never really experienced it... It just caught me off guard."

"I understand. I've never really had to deal with it either. Being in our world, people don't usually say things like that to us... I just hope you don't have to deal with his family much again. And if you do, I hope I'm there next time."

"Yeah, well, I'm okay, anyway," I say, sipping my tea. "It was just so...surprising."

"Well, I was going to share some good news with you, but now I'm not so sure if you'll consider it good," Liam says, his expression hesitant.

"Really?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Really," he says, setting his cup down on the coffee table. "So, you know how I've been looking for work, right?"

I nod. "Yes..."

"Well, I actually got a job. It's a good-paying job, too."

"Wait, that's great news! Where, exactly?" I reply, feeling genuinely excited for him.

He hesitates for a second, then says, "It's... actually at Davis Data Solutions."

I blink at him, the reality of his words sinking in. His announcement couldn't have come at a worse time. Now I have to think about my little brother being subjected to the same thing I was. I mean, who knows what they'll say about him behind his back at that company if that's how the CEO's wife acts and thinks?