Epilogue

*Sofia Blanco*

*Sofia Blanco*

Kingdoms rise and fall like the tides, ebbing and flowing in an endless cycle of birth and decay. Just as seeds sprout from the earth and trees grow strong, only to fall and be replaced by newer growth, so too do civilizations come into being and pass away. New dynasties arise, toppling the old order and ushering in a new age of change and transformation. This cyclical pattern of renewal and destruction is the essence of history, and it will continue on and on, forever shaping the course of time.

A week later.

"How do you feel?" I ask Vinc as he leans against the car as we look once more at the Blanco Manor. He chuckles, "Peachy." I look to his side, slipping my hand under his jacket and shirt to feel the gauze pads taped to his abdomen. "You checking if the bandages are still there, or just trying to feel me up?" He jokes. Smirking, lustfully looking into his eyes, "Can it be both?" We both laugh as he pulls me in, kissing the top of my head. 

I groan to myself. "What?" He asked. "Do you think I look dumb?" Referring to my hair which I cut short. They say, "Hair holds memories." Exactly why I found myself starting fresh. "Angel, you look like you. The woman I am completely and utterly hopeless for." I smile as men emerge from behind.

"Miss, that's the last of it. You sure about this?" I answer, "Positive."

After my father, the Blanco manor seemed to have no value. He and Dominic both are among the plenty at the docks. Carmine had been dumping bodies onto this shipping yard for years. Seemed only fitting he too ended up there. With Marietta gone, his club was opened to the public. A new, honorable owner took his place. As for the Mob and its activities, it will be soon laid to myths. All his traders and shares, and my father himself are dead. Yes, someone may try to gain the power they once had, but it takes decades.

Though, I can thank my father. Inheritance, guards, and property. Lavish living. Not here, in Aldrich though. That's not what Vincent wanted. And like him, I'd do anything for the one I loved.

We had packed any and all belongings that would do us good for our new home. Last was to burn the hauntings of this mansion. My men had gathered drums of gasoline, drenching the interior. They finalized circling the outer perimeter. "Do you want us to..." One guard began. I motioned for him to pause, "Not until James gets here."

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. After Vincent had been seen to, I met with James. He was a friend to my father, so just as me, we saw him shape into something terrible. Beyond the Blanco's and the mafia itself, James had a life. Two loving children, an amazing wife. He wanted the safety and security of his future to be with them. Not my so called 'family'. And it took me a while to realize that. Which is why I yearned for James to cozy up to the simple life. Not blame him for my father's transgressions. I wanted him, one of the few I cared about, to live the life they dreamed of. So while we'd continue a more honest and successful business else where, James would see to the quiet life. Soccer and talent shows were of his concern now.

In an ordinary SUV, Jameson pulls up to the driveway. Getting out, he opens the back seat. Two child excitedly escape the seat belts. Manic glee on their faces as they run up to me. Showering me with hugs. Hunter, the eldest boy and about eight. "Auntie Sofie." He cheers. Rylee, their youngest. Nearly five. I pick her up, as she coddles into my neck. 

James orders the kids in a playful demeanor to leave me be before walking up himself. "Sofia." I hug him. "James. Thank you." He chuckles, unsure. "For what?" I smile, cupping his cheek, "For being here. Even when you weren't, I know you're on my side. You were and always will be a father to me." A firm handshake between Vinc and James as they nod at one another. Vinc tucks his hands back into his jacket pockets. "Well, that's everything. Are we ready?" Vinc questions.

James chimes in, "Actually, I have a surprise." Vincent and I look confused to one another before Jameson urges us to follow him to his car. His wife, Amanda was standing on the side facing away from the house. With the door to the back passenger open, a rear facing car seat, usually for infants was set. I remembered James telling me of his wife's labor. "I wanted to show you the newest member of the family." 

I look in after greeting Amanda. The sleeping, innocent child, sound and perfect. I congratulate them, "She's beautiful." James smiles, holding his wife's waist. "Her name is Sofia." I look the couple in awe. "We named her after the girl who first showed me what it's like to be a father." 

I chuckle, astounded. After more small conversations, the kids piled back in the car, James chuckles. "We should go." He hugs me once more. "If you ever need me, call me-" I stopped him. "No, James. Your work isn't needed anymore." I point to his own family, "They need you now." He smiles, nodding. Placing a small piece of hair behind my ear, "I am beyond blessed to have seen you grow into a wise, quick-witted, and beautiful woman. You are both so lucky, and I am without worry that you will do great things in this world."

After the very hard goodbye, in knowing I may never see James again, this mission wasn't completed. Most of the men had sped off to the new house, three cities away in a town called Maplewood. A smaller county with bright possibilities. However, Vinc and I stayed behind to watch the most satisfying, remarkable, and rewarding fire. Better than any boy scouts campfire. The burning of the past. The Blanco Manor, up in flames. With it dies my loving mother and father, Blanco which was cruel and unforgiving, Marietta who sparked this whole ordeal, Dominic, only a painful reminder of my desperation, and lastly the person I used to be, Scalini.

All who's memories remind me of dark, twisted times, with no other path to search for. Now gateways have opened up. A new future to embark on. And with the only person who could have made it possible.

I guess you could call us Bonnie and Clyde. I mean we took the city by storm, police tracking us down, major targets on our backs. However, this is just the beginning of what new and exciting things we'll get up to. Although a clever name, we aren't stopping yet.