CHAPTER 5: Little bonds

Amalia stood near the hearth, warming her hands by the fire. The soft crackle of the burning wood filled the room, but the tension was palpable. Antonio stood by the door, hesitating as he unfastened his armor.

"Your Majesty, are you sure you want to stay here?" he asked, his voice low and filled with unease.

Amalia turned to him, her eyes gentle but firm. "Yes, Antonio. Your mother has graciously offered her home, and it would be an honor to spend the night here."

Antonio glanced toward the small room where his mother lay resting, uncertainty flickering across his face. "It's not the palace. I can arrange something more comfortable at the village inn—"

"Antonio," Amalia interrupted softly, stepping toward him. "Why would a queen spend the night at the inn? This is your home. That's all the comfort I need."

Antonio nodded, though the reluctance in his posture remained. "As you wish, Your Majesty."

With that, Amalia left him to his thoughts and entered the small room where his mother rested, her fragile form wrapped in blankets. The older woman stirred as Amalia approached, her eyes brightening with recognition.

"Your Majesty," she greeted, her voice warm but weak. "You honor me by staying in our humble home."

Amalia smiled and knelt beside her. "It is I who is honored to be here. How are you feeling?"

"Oh, this old body has seen better days," the woman said with a soft chuckle, her eyes twinkling. "But don't mind me. I've had a good life."

They fell into a comfortable conversation, the warmth of the hearth casting a golden glow over the room. Amalia could see where Antonio had inherited his kindness. His mother radiated a quiet strength, despite her frailty.

As they spoke, Amalia learned about the accident that had crippled the woman. "It happened years ago, when Antonio was still just a boy," she explained. "I was out in the fields, ploughing with the oxen. They got spooked and bolted. I didn't have time to move. They trampled me before anyone could stop them."

Amalia's heart tightened. "That must have been terrible."

"It was, but life is like that sometimes," Antonio's mother said, her tone light despite the gravity of her words. "We all face hardships. It's how we rise from them that defines us."

Amalia nodded, admiring the woman's resilience. "You've raised a good son."

She smiled proudly. "Antonio's always been a good boy, though a bit too serious at times. But he cares deeply. That's something not many can say."

"I'm sorry if I'm impolite but what about your husband?" she asked the old lady.

"He passed away five years after the tragedy. Antonio was a small boy and I was crippled. We couldn't sustain the few servants we had so he went out to earn at the age of thirteen after we laid off some servants. I felt terrible each day I watched him set out in  morning but there was nothing I could do. His zeal healed a lot of wounds in me that nobody could."

"Antonio is hardworking. I've watched him work for my father at the palace. I believe he will be a good husband and father just like his father." Amilia said with a gentle smile.

"Of course. Be on the look out for a compatible lady for him before he retires."

"mmh," Antonio cleared his throat to signal them of his presence. They both looked at him and laughed.

The conversation took a more personal turn as Antonio's mother spoke of Amalia's leadership. "I've heard many things about you, Your Majesty. The people in the village—they speak of you with such respect. You have a kind heart. Genuine. That's what makes you a good leader."