Chapter 12 | Problems at the tailor shop

The white garment folded itself around the to-be bride

The white garment folded itself around the to-be bride. She looked elegant in a lehenga, the off white and silver complimenting her dark skin tone. Nadiya rushed in with the headscarf– the zari embroidery stood out in the blue silver chiffon cloth and glowed under the light. Zari embroidery was made from fine silver or gold threads and it cost a lot too. The family looked like they could afford it. We had multiple types of zari too and let them know they could have the real deal or the imitation ones, which would be lighter and cheaper.

They preferred to have the actual silver embroidery. The team was slightly overworked as we had to rush to get the materials from our source and ship it here before their date before we started tailoring their clothes.

Nadiya and Zahra came in the morning as the other two left their overnight shift. I sighed happily. This month we would make extra and I reminded myself to give everyone a bonus for working hard.

"Mirza!"

I looked over to see the mother waving me over. I went over and braced myself. I have had both lovely customers and ones who screamed that I didn't have variety and enough customer service as they stormed out.

She smiled warmly at me. "The dress fits. I'm so glad we decided to tailor it here."

"Glad to help."

The girl smiled and blushed as I looked at her. Sets of pins held up the skirt at the waist and the knot at the back of the top. We finished tailoring but called in the family for final tweaking. I preferred to always add the zippers while they got their final fitting so they could let me know how fit they wanted the final dress to be. Bridal dresses, especially the tops were made to fit perfectly.

"We couldn't find any ready-made dresses in her size," the mother gestured to her daughter, smiling sheepishly. I raised an eyebrow.

"It is hard for fat people to find the perfect dresses," I blew a breath out. "One of the reasons I became a tailor. I could get perfect dresses for myself now."

"Thank you, Mirza," the girl twirled around and giggled. She was obviously so happy to be in it.

"Alright, let me know where you want the zippers on the skirt. Or if you would prefer hooks or drawstrings instead."

"I would like drawstrings."

"Alright. And for the top? I have a zipper here."

"Yes."

"Okay. Nadiya here has your headscarf, please wear it and let us know if it's okay."

The girl was already wearing a headscarf and the extra one was supposed to act like a veil while fully covering her head at the same time. I was glad we got some plain extra silk for her normal headscarf.

"It's a bit heavy but it works!"

"Alright. I am going to remove the pins from your skirt now. We shall have it ready by tomorrow–"