Time - 12:05

Chapter 0

**Bekrar si yeh raatein, beshumaar teri yaadein, 
Behisaab gham yeh tha mera...**

The song drifted through the heavy air as Satyam stood on the rooftop, leaning against the railing. Rain pelted down in sharp, cold drops, soaking the city below. Thunder rumbled in the distance, but he barely flinched, eyes fixed on the phone in his hand. A cigarette smoldered between his fingers, the smoke curling upward before being swallowed by the night.

Date: 31st July 2023.

His thumb hovered over the screen, aimless. The notifications, the texts, all unread. He didn’t have the energy for them today. He took a drag, letting the smoke fill his lungs before exhaling slowly, eyes glazed over with the familiar haze of memory.

Then the phone buzzed.

Aditya. He sighed and accepted the call.

"Aditya: Kya bhai, kaisa hai? Happy birthday, Satyam."

"Satyam: Thanks, Aditya," he muttered, the words hollow, like an old habit.

Aditya's voice broke through the sound of the rain, playful but concerned. "Dude, what’s up with this voice? And what's going on?"

Satyam stared into the storm. "Nothing much... I mean, I’m fine," he said, though he knew it was a lie. His voice gave it away, but he couldn’t muster the will to mask it.

"Aditya: Bro, still thinking about her…?"

A beat of silence passed as Satyam flicked the ash from his cigarette, watching it disappear into the rain. He clenched his jaw slightly, the ache in his chest as familiar as the cold wind whipping through his damp clothes.

"Satyam: Haan... shayad ab pure do saal ho gaye." His voice was barely a whisper, carried away by the storm.

Aditya chuckled lightly, though it was tinged with sympathy. "Bhai, Devdas ban gaya hai tu."

Satyam let out a breath that was almost a laugh, but not quite. "Maybe," he murmured, feeling the weight of the past two years settle on him once again.

"Aditya: Achha, bata—"

The line crackled as thunder echoed in the sky, but before Aditya could finish, Satyam’s thoughts drifted away, swallowed by the rain.

**Bekarar si yeh raatein… beshumaar teri yaadein...**

And just like that, another year had passed.