IV. Shadows Beneath the Pines

What the heck just happened? Did I just relive a scene from one of the horror books?

I couldn't shake off the chill that had crawled up my spine. The streets of Havenwood, the unsettling energy of the library, and the way the bookkeeper's eyes seemed to follow my every move—it all lingered in my mind like a twisted dream I couldn't wake up from. By the time I made it back to the house, my nerves were frayed, and the faint buzzing in my head urged me to find some distraction.

Instead of eating lunch, I reached for a bottle of whiskey—a reckless decision, but one that promised to dull the edge of my anxiety. I sat on the porch, the bottle resting beside me, the sharp burn of the drink settling in my stomach. The sun hung low in the afternoon sky, casting a warm but eerie light over the town below. From the hillock, I could see the rooftops of Havenwood, all neatly arranged like a quaint little painting. The cobblestone streets were mostly empty, save for the occasional passerby moving about their daily routines.

Yet, beneath this peaceful exterior, something felt off. The air itself seemed too still, the rustle of leaves from the hedges too faint, as if the town was holding its breath, waiting. Maybe it was the alcohol messing with my senses, or maybe I was just being paranoid after everything. Either way, my feet itched for movement.

Without thinking much of it—whether from a strange urge or a drunken whim—I decided to take a walk in the woods.

---

I don't know what compelled me to step into the woods, especially after everything that had happened. Maybe it was the whiskey, or maybe the gnawing curiosity that came with the unsettling events of the day. The woods seemed darker than I remembered, the towering pines swaying in the faintest breeze as if whispering secrets among themselves. The path was narrow, winding deeper into the shadows. The further I walked, the more distant the world of Havenwood felt—like a memory I could barely hold onto.

The air here was cooler, heavier, and the silence was suffocating. My footsteps, once sure, began to falter as the trail disappeared into the dense undergrowth.

I should turn back. This is stupid, Scarlet.

Just as the thought crossed my mind, my foot caught on something—a hidden root or a jagged rock—I couldn't tell. Pain shot up my leg as I twisted awkwardly, falling hard against the damp earth.

"Dammit!" I winced, clutching my ankle, my body curling in on itself as the sharp ache pulsed through me. I tried to stand, but the moment I put weight on my foot, a fresh wave of pain forced me back down.

I was miles from town, alone, and too far gone for anyone to hear me if I screamed. Panic started to rise, but before it could fully take hold, a sound broke the stillness. A soft rustling, followed by the unmistakable crunch of footsteps on the forest floor.

I wasn't alone.

From the shadows, a figure emerged. Tall, broad-shouldered, moving with a quiet, unhurried confidence. His silhouette was sharp against the darkened trees, but the moment he stepped into the faint light filtering through the canopy, I could see him clearly.

He was striking—handsome in the way that made you stop and look twice. Tousled, dark brown hair fell messily over his forehead, framing his sharp, chiseled features. Hazel eyes, intense and brooding, locked on me with a gaze that sent a shiver down my spine, though it was far from cold.