honey, why you callin' me so late?

Some people are simply not meant to be forgotten. There’s always that one person who leaves a lasting mark on our hearts--someone we can’t quite forget, no matter how hard we try.

Some people are just meant to stay in our memories. If we could erase them, we’d lose a piece of ourselves.

Even when things went wrong in the past and pain crept in and broke us apart, we couldn't dismiss the fact that they were once and still are a part of us. Their presence, even if brief, shaped our life and helped us be who we currently are.

Besides, at one time, we both cared deeply for each other.

I leaned against my bed, my back pressed against the wood and cushion. Hugging my knees to my chest for comfort, I stared at my phone, the name and number of the person I once called mine glowing on the screen.

Charlotte Austin.

A lone tear slid down my cheek as I pressed the call button, watching the phone ring four times before it finally connected.

I brought the phone to my ear, releasing a shaky breath as another tear fell, tracing the path of the first. The air felt thick with unspoken words.

"...." silence filled the line, weighing heavily on my heart.

“Say something...” I whispered, my eyes squeezing shut as my heart clenched in pain.

“Why are you calling, Engfa?” her voice came after a moment of long silence.

“I miss you,” I breathed. “I miss your voice.”

“Engfa,” she replied, her voice soft yet seemed so distant. “Let me go. It’s been two years----”

When I opened my eyes, I caught sight of the picture frame on my bedside table--two faces, radiant and smiling, captured in a moment of pure happiness that I knew would never return.

“Let me rest in peace, My Love,” she whispered to me, her voice slowly fading away from my ears.

I lowered the phone, only then realizing that the call hadn’t been made and answered at all.