Chapter 13: Hollow Zero

You and Belle were led from the outpost's entrance to a tent that has several pieces of high tech equipment set up. There was a woman tinkering away with a few devices that had been taken apart and scattered across the table in front of her.

As soon as you and Belle got closer enough, she stopped tinkering to look up at you both.

"Ah! I noticed your fresh, youthful faces the moment you both walked into the tent!" She said.

"Or should I call you, Mr and Mrs Private Investigator?" She continued.

"Heh...kinda sounds like we're a couple when you put it like that~" Belle said, gently nudging you with her elbow.

"S-Stop that." You said, slightly embarrassed which made Belle giggle.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Ray, a researcher from the White Star Institute. It's short for Ray, and all my colleagues call me Ray, so you both should do the same." Ray said.

"Isn't that...but there's no difference..." You pointed out.

"Take it easy. I'm not like the clerks of the Association who make you queue up behind a service window." Ray said, completely disregarding what you had just said.

"As long as you can bring my lovely observation data from the hollow to my door, then I'll treat you like my dearest partner!" She said.

"Well that's nice to hear at least." You commented.

"But right now, I got an important job for you both." Ray said, adjusting her goggles.

"A data station at the edge of Hollow Zero has been attacked by a group of wandering ethereals, and we need someone to recover the Observation Data from the station." She explained.

"The route is simple, the plan is clear, and the threat is obvious. This is very suitable as the first job for a pair of rookies." Ray continued.

"During the mission, you will be escorting an investigator from the Association, who will also act as your examination." She said.

As you listened to Ray explain the plan, you glanced to your side to check Belle's reaction. Judging by the look on her face, you could tell she wasn't very impressed with the assignment the two of you were given.

"What a wonderful job..." She said sarcastically.

"Maybe so, but for our first time going into Hollow Zero, it's a good way to help us acclimate." You said.

"I hear the dissatisfaction in your voice, Mrs Private Investigator. Your partner is right though. Of course, any assignment in Hollow Zero is accompanied by risks. This is a good chance for you to get used to how dangerous Hollow Zero can be." Ray began.

"But given that you two have been approved by the HIA to take this Qualification Assessment at such a young age, I believe in you!" She said.

"That's all for the official explanation. Yoooo be able to start the mission once you register yourselves at the operation terminal." Ray said.

"I'll be waiting eagerly for you to return with a hard drive filled with my data like I'm waiting for my online delivery to arrive!" She continued.

"Heh...relatable." You mumbled.

"If you lose my parcel...then you don't need to show up." Ray said, her voice suddenly turning hard as a scowl appeared on her face.

It surprised you how quickly her mood shifted when she said that.

"Don't worry, you'll get your data. I promise you that." You said, wanting to reassure her.

"Haha! I was just joking. You'd better come back alive, you hear?" Ray said, laughing as her whole demeanour changed yet again.