Chapter Seven: Aiden

The Hawthorne estate loomed large before me, a sprawling mansion that felt more like a castle than a home. Each corner radiated wealth and history, but the atmosphere was thick with tension, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I had walked into the middle of a storm.

I stood in the grand foyer, still grappling with the reality of my situation. Just days ago, I was a regular guy, focused on making ends meet and trying to carve out a path for myself. Now, I was the heir to a fortune, standing in the house of a family who viewed me with suspicion. The weight of their gaze was heavy, but I couldn't let it break me.

I remembered the will reading all too clearly: "Aiden Kade has inherited the entirety of the Hawthorne fortune." Those words echoed in my mind like a haunting refrain. I hadn't asked for any of this, and yet here I was, facing the fallout of my unexpected inheritance.

As I wandered through the vast hallways, I tried to find a sense of belonging in this unfamiliar space. The walls were adorned with portraits of stern-looking ancestors, their eyes seeming to follow me as I moved. I shivered, not from the cold but from the weight of their expectations. It felt as if the house itself was scrutinizing me, questioning my presence.

I eventually made my way to the living room, where the four Hawthorne sisters were gathered. They were like a force of nature—each one strikingly different but united in their determination to protect what was theirs. I could see the conflict in their eyes, the way they were grappling with their loss. I understood that I was a reminder of everything they had lost.

"Hey, Aiden," Jamie greeted me with a playful grin. "We're planning a little welcoming party. You in?"

"A welcoming party?" I raised an eyebrow, unsure how to respond. "What exactly does that entail?"

"Just a little get-together to help you settle in," she explained, her enthusiasm infectious. "Don't worry; it won't be anything crazy. Just us, some snacks, and maybe a movie."

"Sounds... simple enough," I said, attempting to mask my uncertainty. I wasn't exactly accustomed to gatherings like this, especially in the midst of such turmoil. "What's the catch?"

"Catch?" Jamie laughed, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "No catch. Just an opportunity for us to get to know each other better. After all, you're part of the family now, right?"

"Part of the family," I repeated, trying to let that sink in. "Is that how you see me?"

Gracie, the second eldest, stood off to the side, her expression inscrutable. I could feel the weight of her gaze, and I was aware that she didn't trust me—nor did she want to. "It's a bit complicated," she said finally, her voice cool and measured. "We're all still processing everything."

"I get that," I replied, attempting to be as sincere as possible. "I didn't choose this. I don't want to come between you and your family."

"Then let's just take it one step at a time," Natalie, the eldest, suggested. Her tone was calm and reassuring, a stark contrast to the tension hanging in the air. "We'll have the party, and if it doesn't work out, we can figure something else out. No pressure."

"Right, no pressure," I echoed, feeling the weight of her words. "So, what do I need to bring?"

"Just yourself," Jamie said, grinning. "We'll handle the rest. You can just show up and be your charming self."

Charming. I wasn't sure I could pull that off. I had spent most of my life trying to stay under the radar, just getting by. But I realized I had to adapt; I was in uncharted waters now.

As we discussed the details, I felt a strange mix of excitement and apprehension. It was a chance to connect, to break down some of the barriers that had been erected since my arrival. But it also felt like walking into a minefield—one wrong step, and everything could blow up in my face.