Chapter 14: "Operation: Fry the Fuzzies"

Chip and I took off for Mindwarp Industries in the middle of the night.

It took a while because we had to stop and pump up my front tire at a gas station. (Yeah, we were on our bikes.) I made a mental note to build a C.H.I.P.-mobile after this mission was over. (Check it out. It would be totally cool!)

We finally made it to Seth Mindwarp's headquarters

We finally made it to Seth Mindwarp's headquarters. There were no barbed-wire fences or guard dogs, but I knew the place probably had the highest-tech security around. Then I noticed something moving in some of the second-floor windows. I checked it out with my Go-through Goggles, these see-in-the-dark goggles I invented.

The things in the windows were Freaky Fuzzies! They were scanning the area like security cameras. C.H.I.P. was going to have to be extra stealthy getting inside. Seth Mindwarp probably had Freaky Fuzzies everywhere!

I asked Chip if he was ready. He said, "Ready for what?" I sighed a little and activated him with my phone.

Chip became C.H.I.P. in an instant. Wow. I felt pretty cool.

C.H.I.P. started as a supercool ninja, and he took off for the building. I could see the Freaky Fuzzies turning to watch him, but he flattened himself against the building so fast that I don't think they picked up anything. Then C.H.I.P. pulled out some Gummy Grippers, these cool suction-cup things I invented, and climbed right up the face of the building!

C.H.I.P. had a camera on the front of his suit so I could see everything he saw on the screen of my phone. It was weird with him climbing the building because it looked really scary – I'm afraid of heights. Good thing it was him up there and not me!

When C.H.I.P. got to the top of the building, he found this big vent, and he slid right down into it.

Using my earpiece, I was able to talk to C.H.I.P., but I was also connected to Stella back at headquarters. And she could see C.H.I.P.'s video feed too. On the computer, she pulled up a floor plan of the Mindwarp building so she could follow C.H.I.P. as he crawled through the air ducts.

I tracked C.H.I.P. on my phone as well. We both watched him sneak his way closer and closer to Seth Mindwarp's office, the nerve center of the whole Freaky Fuzzy world takeover!

Just then, Stella and I noticed something on the floor plan – another blinking light was following C.H.I.P.'s! It was a Freaky Fuzzy in the air ducts!

I radioed C.H.I.P.: "Freaky Fuzzy moving in from behind! Fifty meters and closing!" C.H.I.P. crawled faster, but the Fuzzy was really moving. Suddenly, the Fuzzy got in sight of C.H.I.P. and fired a laser blast! It missed, giving C.H.I.P. just enough time to tape my Ricochet Reflector to his butt. The next blast ricocheted off the Reflector's mirrored surface and shot right back at the Freaky Fuzzy!

ZZZZAP! The Fuzzy blew itself up!

As quietly as he could, C.H.I.P. kept moving, slithering farther through the air ducts.

Finally, he made it to Seth Mindwarp's office. He looked right down on Seth from above through a vent. Seth was at his massive computer console, monitoring the activity of all the Freaky Fuzzies around the city. He laughed as he snooped into nearly every house in Vortville, where the parents were all locked up, the kids were zoned out and the Freaky Fuzzies were in charge!

This was our big moment, the real test for C.H.I.P. If he blew this, it would be serious trouble.

I actually hesitated. I couldn't order my best friend to put his life in danger and attack the craziest of crazy bad guys!

Luckily, C.H.I.P. didn't know the meaning of self-doubt. When the time was right, he used my Zippy Zip Wire to drop down right next to Seth Mindwarp!

Seth was taken totally by surprise, and before he could do anything, C.H.I.P. spun Seth's swivel chair around, tying him up with a rope! I couldn't believe it was so easy!

That's because it wasn't.

C.H.I.P. looked around and realized the room was filled with Freaky Fuzzies! And they were moving in on him fast!

The Freaky Fuzzies started laser-blasting C.H.I.P. from all sides! C.H.I.P. whipped out the Ricochet Reflector, but it could only block some of the incoming blasts. A few of the blasts actually hit Seth's big computer console, and he screamed, "Watch the equipment, fuzzballs!"

C.H.I.P. pulled himself up on the zip wire again, and he spun around in mid-air, still deflecting the Freaky Fuzzies' laser blasts. He fried a lot of them using the Ricochet Reflector, but then one blast hit the wire itself, and C.H.I.P. fell straight down and landed hard. WHAM!

Good thing his Nifty Ninja Suit had airbags!

But now C.H.I.P. was flat on the floor and face to face with a mass of Freaky Fuzzies! They grabbed his arms and legs and held him down. And while C.H.I.P. tried in vain to fight them off, some other Fuzzies untied Seth Mindwarp.

The last thing I saw on my phone was Seth Mindwarp leaning in, laughing all crazy and grabbing the camera.