9- Interview

Mishthi-

It's been six days since I've been staying with the Rajvansh family. Granny and her family are so kind and generous, though part of their kindness is because I saved Granny's life. She told me to call her 'Dadi' instead of 'Aunty,' and her husband, 'Grandpa' instead of 'Uncle.'

Mr. and Mrs. Rajvansh are also very kind-Rudransh's parents, precisely.

It's a bit awkward; they've showered me with love and generosity, which sometimes makes me feel scared.

The younger Mr. and Mrs. Rajvansh, Rudransh's uncle and aunt, are also joyful and funny, constantly cracking jokes.

Their children are kind and funny, too, keeping me updated with all kinds of things.

As for Rudransh-or Mr. Rajvansh-he's a bit confusing. Sometimes he's understanding, and the next minute, he's cranky and moody.

It's as if he's on his period.

I tried to leave two days ago, saying the curfew was over and that I could find a place for myself, but everyone, including Mr. Rajvansh, refused to let me go. His black-blue eyes commanded me without words, like a master commanding his pet.

I don't know why, but one look from him makes me agree with whatever he says.

I tried calling my parents but couldn't gather the courage. The memory of that knife stabbing in an attempted murder still holds me back from forgiving them. And it's not like they've tried to call me either.

Today is the interview at Mr. Rajvansh's company, 'RJ Enterprises.'

I'm getting ready in black pants and a white shirt that I brought with me. I tied my hair in a high ponytail, applied a little lip tint, and slipped into my shoes. Satisfied with my look, I grabbed my documents and degrees in a file and walked out of the guest room that Granny had kindly allotted me.

When I walked out, I saw everyone sitting in the dining hall, including Mr. Rajvansh.

I hesitantly walked in. It's still awkward staying here for free, doing nothing in return, and eating their food.

But until they let me go, I have to feed myself.

"Good morning," I greeted everyone, placing my file aside to help the ladies.

"Aunty, let me do it," I said to Mrs. Rajvansh, taking a jug of orange juice from her hand.

"Uh-uh! You sit, Mishthi, and eat your breakfast because you need to leave for the office with Ansh," she said, eyeing me to sit down and eat.

"But aunty..." I was cut off by Granny.

"No ifs and buts, Mishthi. Sit down and eat your breakfast. Ansh doesn't like latecomers, so eat before him," Granny said sternly, with wide eyes and a stern face, trying to scare me. But her expression made me chuckle a little.

"You're so cute, Granny, and this wide-eyed, stern face makes you look even more adorable," I said, still laughing, unaware of the stares I was getting from everyone at the table.

"You should laugh more; you look good," I heard Mr. Rajvansh say in an amused tone.

That made me stop laughing instantly, and now everyone was looking at him weirdly.

He glanced around and cleared his throat.

"I'm done eating," he announced, standing up from his chair and moving toward the exit after wiping his hands with a tissue.

"Ansh! Where are you going? Mishthi hasn't finished her breakfast," Granny called out from behind.

"I'm getting late, Dadi. If she wants to come with me, she'd better start running outside." With that, he left the mansion.

"Um, Granny, let him go. I'll take a taxi or some other public transport. He's the boss, and I have to interview there. People will talk unnecessarily if they see me arriving with him," I said, voicing the thoughts that had been bothering me since last night when Granny and Grandpa had announced that I'd go to the office with Mr. Rajvansh. He had agreed without any argument.

But it felt awkward. They were already helping me so much, and I didn't want to cause them more trouble.

"Stop spouting nonsense, Mishthi. You're going with him. Here, take this and eat it on your way to the office. Now go on, shoo!" said Aunty, his mom, as she handed me a lunch box.

"But Aunty..." Just as I was about to say something, we all heard the sound of a horn. Aunty practically pushed me outside.

I walked over and sat beside Mr. Rajvansh. He hadn't started the car yet, so I looked at him, and he moved closer to me, his eyes locking with mine. I could feel his breath on my face.

I noticed just how handsome he was. Light brown skin, a long face, curly jet-black hair, thick eyebrows, piercing black-blue eyes, a sharp jawline, a pointed nose, fine red lips, and a light beard that made him look even more irresistible. Then my eyes trailed down to his muscular neck and prominent Adam's apple.

"I know I'm a tasty piece of meat and devilishly handsome, but stop staring," he said huskily, hovering just above my lips. At that moment, I heard a click and realized he had buckled my seatbelt before pulling back.

Leaving me breathless.

"I wasn't staring at you. You're neither tasty nor handsome," I said, though I didn't know where I got the courage. Once I regained my senses, I felt a bit scared.

But he just chuckled, followed by, "Yeah, and you're Miss World." His words were laced with mockery.

"Did you just mock me?" I asked angrily.

"No! Or maybe," he said with a wink, and with that, I fell silent, turning to look out the window.

We were on our way to the office when he suddenly pulled over to the side of the road. I looked at him, confused, but before I could ask, he spoke, looking directly into my eyes.

"The office is about a 3-5 minute walk from here. Follow this footpath and take the first right," he said, navigating the path for me.

I was still processing what he'd just said.

"It's because I don't want anyone seeing me arriving with a girl who's here for an interview. I'll treat you the same as everyone else," he added in a monotone, and without wasting a second, I nodded and stepped out of the car.

As soon as I was out, he sped off and disappeared from sight.

Taking a deep breath, I started walking. After 5 minutes, I stood before a towering 30-story glass building with "RJ Enterprises" shining in bold, large letters.

I took a deep breath and stepped inside.

Follow me on instagram for updates and spoilers pookies.

@author_sanshi - ig