Chapter 1-Part 1 Maxwell

I lied you know. About everything.

I'm so sorry Jake. Bella finally told me what had happened to her from that incident before prom. James's evil and wrath, Edward being a vampire, and the Cullens putting an end to him. She showed me the scar that James gifted her. A nasty mark as a reminder that there is evil in this world, even among vampires. That's why I asked Jacob, how was Bella? She called me after she came back from Italy. Charlie was so upset he didn't want her to see anyone because of her...running off to another country with no explanation. Yeah, that was quite alarming but Bella being Bella, she had to do it. For love, a part of me could understand. But the other side was horrified.

But...since I wasn't "Edward" he let me in. She looked overwhelmed but, in her heart, she was relieved that she made it in time to rescue Edward. The immortal man who was willing to die for her, and in return she was willing to die for him. Beautiful. Poetic. But almost foolhardy. "You could've died Bella!", I yelled angrily to her. I wasn't sure if Charlie was listening, but Bella had told me that he needed space for a bit and went out for fresh air.

I didn't mean to yell at her or sound angry, but I was scared for my friend. Bella was brave and heroic in this...audacious venture, but now the Volturi, they have their eyes trained on her now. I hugged her so tight, and she started to cry. It must've been so scary for her and thank goodness Alice was there to help her. But...my heart was disquiet. They made a hard bargain that's for sure.

Bella...must become a vampire herself, since a mortal cannot live with the "awareness" that vampires exist. I'm the only person that she told me about this...since I'm not truly a "normal" human myself. Magic dwells in my blood and I've been hiding my gift of magic for a long time. I told Bella this since she felt like "no one" could possibly understand the supernatural world her life was becoming. I detest the words, witch, warlock, sorcerer, etc. That's not who I am. I'm Maxwell, and that's all should matter.

After the "James" fiasco, the last time I saw Bella was at prom. The poor dear was still recovering from all that, but she and Edward made such an item. Jacob was there but he looked...upset. There was a barrier or wall that was made seeing the two together. She had such a blush on her cheeks, I saw them, and I gave her a quick thumbs up and went to get some punch.

She nodded and Edward gave me a small smirk. I was flabbergasted, I didn't think that young man could ever crack a "smile". I giggled and then I saw Jacob's face. It looked like he was a big red balloon waiting to pop with a thin needle.

Jake wasn't as supportive. I did pull him to the side and asked him, "What's the prob Jake?". He rebuffed me and said, "Leave it, Max. You wouldn't understand" in a mean tone. I for one, am not a person who would allow anyone to speak to me like that, not even Jake. However, kerosene being poured on an already hot fire would not be a good idea. I'm usually not a person that backs down, but for this, I saw him hurt and inflamed.

I shrugged and said, "Whatever you say Jake" and I walked away. I was hurt that Jake spoke to me like that, but I was hurting even more since he couldn't verbalize what was "really" going on. After a few steps, I felt someone gently take my hand. I turned back and it was Jake. "I'm sorry Max, I shouldn't have said that to you. I'm...just going through something, ya know?". I looked at him and I said, "Baby steps Jake. Baby steps". I booped his nose and there was that lovable smile on his face.

I told him, "Come on! Dance with me!" in a jovial tone. He smiled and he followed me to the dance floor. I didn't care who looked at us funny or not. I was with my friend, and I was glad to keep him and myself in good spirits. Despite the darkness that was slowly entering our lives.

Bella had told me when she connected all the dots together about Jacob. He wasn't human either, and it to be the only thing that he and Edward had in common. The supernatural aspect of their existences. Even after such a reveal, Jacob was still a bit salty about Edward. He said, "Well, I'm sorry that I can't be the right kind of monster for you, Bella. I guess I'm just not as great as a bloodsucker, am I?". I shook my head, Jacob, and his pride. Always an unhealthy combination of his own making.