Obsession

Gregory stood at the window of his small apartment, staring out at the city below. The lights shimmered in the distance, but they felt far away, like another world he could no longer touch. He sighed deeply, running a hand through his dark hair, trying to shake the weight that had settled over his heart in recent weeks. Penny had become a constant presence, suffocating him without even touching him.

His phone buzzed on the table behind him, the name "Feliz" lighting up the screen. Gregory felt a flicker of warmth at the sight of it. Feliz had been his rock through all of this, even when he himself didn't know how to explain what was happening.

He answered the call, his voice soft. "Hey."

"Hey," Feliz's voice came through, a gentle hum of concern beneath the casual tone. "Just checking in. You okay?"

Gregory swallowed, forcing himself to sound calm. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired."

"You don't sound fine," Feliz said, and Gregory could hear the tension in his voice. "Is Penny bothering you again?"

Gregory's stomach tightened at the mention of Penny's name. He didn't know how to describe it the feeling of constantly being watched, of being pursued without ever having a moment's peace. Penny was always there, lurking in the background, sending him messages, turning up at places where he hadn't invited her.

"She's... she's just being Penny," Gregory muttered, his fingers drumming on the windowsill. "She's harmless."

"Harmless?" Feliz's voice hardened. "Gregory, she's obsessed with you. That's not harmless. It's dangerous."

Gregory closed his eyes, leaning his head against the cool glass. He knew Feliz was right. Penny's behavior had crossed lines so many times he had lost count. But what could he do? Confronting her felt impossible. The few times he'd tried, she had broken down, crying, begging for forgiveness, insisting she only did what she did because she loved him so much.

"I'll be okay," Gregory said, though the words felt hollow.

"I'll come over," Feliz insisted. "I don't want you to be alone."

A knock came on the door thirty minutes later, and Gregory opened it to find Feliz standing there, concern etched into his face. His warm, brown eyes scanned Gregory's face, searching for signs of stress. He walked inside without waiting for an invitation, pulling Gregory into a tight hug.

"You don't have to deal with this alone," Feliz whispered into his hair. "I'm here. I'll always be here."

Gregory exhaled, feeling a small measure of comfort in Feliz's embrace. He had always been the steady one, the friend who never wavered, no matter how messy things got. Over time, that steadiness had evolved into something more something Gregory couldn't deny, even if the chaos of Penny's obsession made it hard to think straight. He had fallen for Feliz, slowly, in the quiet moments when Feliz had been the one person he could lean on.

"Thank you," Gregory murmured, stepping back but keeping his hand in Feliz's, needing that connection.

"You don't have to thank me," Feliz said, his thumb gently tracing circles on Gregory's palm. "I love you."

The words hung between them, soft but powerful. Gregory's breath hitched. He had known it was coming—had felt it in every touch, in every lingering glance. But hearing Feliz say it now, with everything that was going on, made his heart ache.

"I—" Gregory started, but the words stuck in his throat. Feliz squeezed his hand, a small smile playing at the corners of his mouth.

"You don't have to say anything," Feliz said gently. "Just... let me help you."