Dix-neuf

With the frosting of my heart

The grand dining hall of Vlad’s home was dimly lit, the heavy wooden table stretched out before him and his wife, Lydia

The grand dining hall of Vlad’s home was dimly lit, the heavy wooden table stretched out before him and his wife, Lydia. The sound of silverware clinking against fine porcelain was the only thing that broke the otherwise stifling silence. Vlad’s face was dark, his sharp eyes glaring down at his plate, though it was obvious his mind was elsewhere. He had been in a foul mood ever since Pantalone had taken their son under his wing, and tonight, that bitterness seemed to boil over.

Lydia sat across from him, quietly eating her dinner, her movements graceful and measured. She could sense the storm brewing in Vlad, as she had for many nights before. His frustrations had only grown over the past few months. She knew the moment would come when he’d say something—it was just a matter of time.

Finally, Vlad dropped his fork onto his plate with a loud clatter, and the tension in the air thickened. He leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms, and let out an irritated sigh.

“This is getting ridiculous,” he muttered, his voice tight with frustration.

Lydia glanced up from her plate, her expression calm and composed. She knew better than to engage too quickly when Vlad was in this kind of mood. “What’s ridiculous, dear?” she asked softly, keeping her tone neutral, though she already knew where the conversation was heading.

Vlad’s hands tightened into fists on the table as he spoke, his voice growing sharper. “That man—Pantalone—He’s supposed to marry him, not coddle him like a child. This isn’t how things should be done.”

Lydia kept her gaze on her plate for a moment longer before setting down her fork and meeting Vlad’s eyes. She knew this conversation was inevitable, but she had hoped he wouldn’t push things too far. “Pantalone is doing what he thinks is best for Y/N,” she said carefully. “Our son has been through a lot… He deserves kindness.”

“Kindness?” Vlad scoffed, his expression hardening. “What he needs is discipline, not pampering. If this keeps up, he won’t be strong enough to handle anything in this world, let alone being the spouse of a Harbinger.”

Lydia’s heart clenched at Vlad’s words, but she didn’t let it show. She understood her husband’s perspective, but he had always been too hard on their son. It was one of the reasons she had been relieved when Y/N left to live with Pantalone, though she would never admit that out loud. Y/N was finally away from Vlad’s harshness, and for that, she was grateful.

“He is strong in his own way,” Lydia replied, her voice steady. “Strength isn’t always about harshness. Sometimes, it’s about resilience, and Y/N has plenty of that.”