Chapter 2

Ashley, Willa's aunt and her late mother's sister, was already eagerly awaiting her niece's arrival. The smell of fries and burgers from today's delivery service permeated the small kitchen while Ashley nervously kept an eye on the clock. She was determined to find out everything she could about Willa's first day at university.

When Willa finally entered, the first encounter was characterized by a depressed mood. The old kitchen, which had once been so familiar, seemed to have turned into an invisible prison. Willa briefly and succinctly described the course of her first day at university. But she kept quiet about the mysterious meeting with the stranger, as if it was a painful memory that she would rather keep to herself.

Ashley looked at Willa with her piercing green eyes, and suddenly Willa had the unsettling feeling that she was looking into the face of her late mother. The green eyes, the little laugh lines, the dark blond wavy hair that fell over the gray sweater - all of it seemed to catapult her back to the time when her parents were still alive. A deep ache spread through her, so oppressive that she felt it would suffocate her. The absence of her parents was like a shadow that would never fade. She often lay awake at night, consumed by the incessant question of how she would continue to live without the protective hands of her parents.

"Are you all right, Willa?" Ashley's voice snapped her out of her depressing thoughts.

"Yes," Willa replied hastily, "You just remind me so much of Mum." She lowered her eyes and began to poke nervously at her fries, as if she could dispel the paralyzing sadness.

Ashley, trying hard to hide her own sadness, sighed softly and spoke in a hushed voice, "I miss Lydia terribly too. She was so... perfect. Everything she tried seemed to work out. High school, university, her marriage, starting a family - it always looked so effortless. And me... Apart from my studies, I haven't managed to get anything right yet." A disgruntled smile creased her face as she spoke of her own disappointments.

"Don't say that," Willa replied gently, placing her hand over Ashley's to comfort her. "Everyone should live their life the way they see fit. There's no right or wrong, just different ways."

Ashley nodded slowly and smiled faintly. Her niece's honest words seemed to ignite a small spark of hope, but the sadness was still present.

"Whatever," Ashley finally said, trying to break the depressing mood. "Are you doing anything else nice tonight?" She quickly changed the subject, as if she was afraid of getting further stuck in the dark spiral of the past.

"Yes, I'm meeting up with a student from university. It won't be late, though." Willa tried to sound relaxed, but her hand wandered nervously through her hair as if she could tame the tension. "Going out isn't really my thing."

Ashley watched her carefully before replying with a soft smile. "It's all good, Willa. You're nineteen years old and therefore an adult. But of course I'm happy for you to tell me where you're going and who you're seeing. Perhaps I know the student?"

Willa hesitated, her gaze wandering to the window as if she could find the answer there. "I don't know. Her name is Gabriella Bellamy."

Ashley put down her water glass, her brow furrowing. "Bellamy? I know a Rose Bellamy. She owns this trendy bar in the city center. We used to be good friends, still see each other occasionally. Then Gabriella must be her little sister."

"Must be." Willa shrugged her shoulders, but her thoughts were already turning to other things. She helped her aunt clear the table, but her hands were shaking slightly with excitement.

When she finally returned to her room, she stared in the mirror. Make up? She had never been the one to pay much attention to her appearance. Her jeans remained as they were and the shirt was only replaced with a fresher one. She smoothed her hair with a quick brush, but that was it. Just ridiculous, she thought as she set off.