Ch 215 - 216

Chapter 215: Sharing The Punishment

The wulin and the imperial court had never been on great terms with each other. Friction between the two was rather frequent, so it meant a great deal that a wulin alliance head would come to their aid. Long Heng was truly very capable. Prince Rong nodded. One hundred military rod beatings was truly nothing when split up amongst these three men.

“No need. This has nothing to do with either of you.” Long Heng didn’t want their help. After all, they were both men who desired his wife.

“I’ve done wrong too. I was the one who brought Madame Xiu to this place. I have sinned.” Ah Quan had snuck in at some point during the proceedings, and now stepped forward to sink to his knees.

Many of his brothers also made their presence known as they too sank to their knees where they were. They were brothers tied together by comradery and friendship. Bai Xiangxiu had saved their boss’ wife and even helped defend Shu County so that they would still have homes to return to. Bam! Bam! Bam! These hot-blooded men all rushed to the front knelt collectively.

“...” The hell is wrong with these people? Why are they lining up to receive a beating? Bai Xiangxiu kept smiling despite such thoughts running through her head. She decided to follow suit and knelt beside them. She’d always disliked kneeling and other similar formalities, but today was different. There was an air of nobility and gracefulness in performing the same action together. She even saw a rare smile on Long Heng’s face when she took a glance at him.

Prince Rong smacked the table with his hand and yelled, “Alright! Since everyone is guilty then so am I! We will all share the punishment!

“Many thanks, Your Highness!”

Everyone received less than ten beatings each after the hundred was divided amongst them all. The men were against letting Bai Xiangxiu receive any beatings, but she insisted that she should also share the blame and punishment with everyone. Due to her righteous protestations, they reluctantly allowed her to take five beatings.

Thwack! Thwack! Thwack! The sounds of military canes echoed throughout the barracks.

Bai Xiangxiu was being beaten by herself by a few veterans, who purposely went easy on her. However, it was still incredibly painful when the rods landed on her bottom. After all, they were military rods. Bai Xiangxiu gritted her teeth and endured through the pain. She didn’t even let out a whimper while receiving her punishment. The veterans were very impressed. They’d never seen a woman capable of enduring this much pain.

However, Bai Xiangxiu was incredibly depressed when she tried to clamber off the bench. Her legs had gone numb! She couldn’t move!

Long Heng had already strode in while she racked her brain for a plan to try and get up. He didn’t seem fazed even though he’d received more than ten canings. He gently picked Bai Xiangxiu up and carried her out of the room. As he turned to leave, Lin Qianzi caught his eye, and a scornful laugh escaped his lips. “Lin Qianzi. Commander Lu told me that his soldiers had a rather wonderful time with you. I don’t mind escorting you back to his military camp if you wish to return there.”

Commander Lu had said those things to him in an attempt to provoke him. After all, Miss Lin was once his betrothed. Unfortunately, his attempt to provoke Long Heng went wide of the mark, since Long Heng remained indifferent. In fact, Long Heng had used those words to attack Lin Qianzi instead.

Long Heng had heard everything from Song Jiaoyue. He understood that they’d saved her out of kindness, but she’d returned kindness with ingratitude and caused them all to be punished. It’d have been alright if she had merely caused the men to bear punishment, but then she’d gone and implicated the weak Bai Xiangxiu as well. Long Heng felt an incredible urge to give her a beating, even though he didn’t want to be involved with a woman like her.