chapter 3

Shark Facts #79. Think you have to be swimming in the ocean to meet a shark? Think again. Bull sharks have a fondness for freshwater. They've been spotted in bays, lagoons and even rivers, sometimes thousands of miles inland.
__

Shark Facts #78. Most species of shark can be found in open water, allowing them plenty of space to swim and fish to eat. However, the goblin shark lives along outer continental shelves and underwater mountain ranges. Their dwellings are too deep for humans, so we don't know much about them.

__

Shark Facts #77. For tiger shark moms-to-be, two different uteri are the key to giving birth to at least two pups.
__

Shark Facts #76. Whale sharks are the world's biggest shark - and they have big families, too. One whale shark can give birth to 2-12 live shark pups in one litter although she may stay with about 300 eggs.
__

Shark Facts #75. Blue sharks are among the most threatened species of sharks in the world. Trade in shark fins and overfishing have caused them to decline so rapidly that scientists worry about their future recovery.
__

Shark Facts #74. Until recently, sharks were thought to be immune to cancer. However, recent research proves otherwise.
__

Shark Facts #73. Most shark attacks on humans occur within a few hundred yards of shore. That's not because sharks stick to this part of the sea ... it's just where people are more likely to be.
__

Shark Facts #72. How do you study sharks in the wild? One way is through tracking devices that send constant updates to researchers. The Smart Position-Only Tag (SPOT) records sharks' activities and transmits data to a satellite. Pop-Up Archival Tags (PAT) record details of the shark's environment, popping off the shark at a preprogrammed time.
__

Shark Facts #71. The 6 Gill Frilled Shark lives thousands of meters below the ocean surface. The first time this shark was recorded alive on film was in 2007 when a specimen was caught in Japan.

__

Shark Facts #70. Most sharks live in saltwater, so how do river sharks survive in freshwater? They take in extra water and then urinate into the stream around them, at a rate over 20 times faster than the average saltwater shark!