Chapter 15: Standing up

I sat on the couch as Banks thumbing through papers on research that Caru was not in the mood to do. With a frustrated sigh I slapped the papers down on the coffee table making Kyan jump "I'm not in the mood to research them either." I know I need this research done, people are asking for these inventions but I just can't focus. I looked at Kyan who was reading a magazine and paused to listen to me. "What's bothering me?"

                        "From what I know about you and your sister, I'm guessing" he tapped his temple "that someone needs you." He sat the magazine down beside him and patted his lap "come on lay down" I smiled and laid my head on his lap, wondering what I did to deserve him and the unflinching support he gave me "Now close your eyes" he stroked my forehead and smiled down at me in a way that relaxed me to sleep instantly. The fact that I didn't go to my room proved that Kyan was right. The room was battered and nearly destroyed, wind whipped through from nowhere, the shadows moved, the air was thick and heavy and I knew I wasn't alone. I could feel the tears and hear the sobs. Try as I might I couldn't find the person crying, the shadows kept attacking, thrashing at me like hungry wild animals. As I ducked back to avoid a snarling shadow I saw a newspaper on the ground, I recognized it as a paper from a nearby county. The headline gave me the name of a child that was in the hospital, but the paper was torn in a way that made the reason unknown.

                          I snapped awake "I know who I need to help, but this time it is someone that needs help here." I smiled up at him "Thank you."

                         "Don't thank me yet, we haven't found them." I sat up and Kyan reached for his laptop. "What is the name" sketched out what I had seen and handed it to him. "Hmm, you are clever. Okay, here we are" He paused, his eyes going wide with surprise. "It's a teenager; fifteen, she has Retrograde Amnesia" he paused trying to push back some trauma he just acquired by what he was reading "she was attacked by family members during a family squabble and suffered a head injury when she was thirteen. Due to this she was placed into the foster care system and has fallen between the cracks."

                         "So we adopt" I reached for my phone "Who do I call?"

                         "Way ahead of you, already sent the email." He smiled at me "What do you think about Daisy, I have always wanted to use a flower name."

                        "How about Lotus," he tipped his head thinking "Lotus flowers flourish in murky waters and remain pure." His face lit up and he winked at me.

                       "I love it," he wrote the name down and turned and gave me a kiss "We need to get a room ready for our daughter." He closed his magazine "I am going to take care of the legal stuff, you are going to get back to work." He kissed me, scooped up his laptop and headed to his room to get dressed. By the time I had everything gathered and was heading to the lab he was heading out the door.

                       I sifted through the folders in the lab looking at everything forgotten and mislabeled, I tossed several duplicate files, refiled a few that had been thought to have been destroyed and acquired a nice stack of inventions and idea's that Caru couldn't stand. But to me they were interesting, I stuck the research she wanted me to do back on her desk with a note that said "I'm sorry Cary but I'm not interested, these are up to you." I sat down at my desk and opened my laptop and several books. After several hours I heard Kyan come back and scurry upstairs, I assumed it was to get the room ready.