CHAPTER 5

Aleena

        The place was full of laughter, especially Olivia. Her giggles, drawing smiles on her face. It was as if her joy was contagious disease. She moved her chair next to Naomi and laughed together like I wasn't here. I'm not jealous; I'm actually happy. Watching Olivia and Naomi laugh together with their jokes and stories makes it look like they're so close that they know each other's secrets. Vincenzo was asleep; he ordered gin himself and drank it alone. Naomi didn't pay attention to him while busy talking with Olivia. They both seemed to be getting along more pretty well.
I still can't think of anything but Nereus' offer. It was a big amount of money; it can help my mom's therapy and medicine. I stared down at my phone; it was off, but I'm gripping on to it until I spaced out. I snapped when Nereus cleared his throat, shaking my head out of my thoughts. I grabbed my fork and pricked it on the small, chopped size of pork and slid it into my mouth. I tasted the slightly sweet, juicy, and tender texture of the pork on my tongue as I continued to munch on it.
        Nereus still didn't talk; I wonder why? Is he maybe pretending to not know me in front of her sister? I mean, didn't he help Vincenzo take care of us into his house that night when Naomi and I were drunk? His game's not funny. I heard a sudden loud squirm, when I turned to it; it was Naomi again, playing with her boyfriend's hair while Olivia was watching them with a smile on her face.
        Nereus turned to them, still no emotion on his face. I kept watching them and smiled. Their laughter is contagious, I admit now. I don't know why, but I really adore Naomi and Vincenzo much when they're together; like, I wish I could have that kind of relationship soon. I blinked when I felt Nereus' gaze on me, but I don't think he's staring at me, don't he? So, I turned back to my plate and looked up at him. I'm done with this 'no talking game,' like he didn't thank and talked to me at the bookshop just earlier. Our eyes met, but the thing I can only see in his eyes is the reassuring look and a passionate gaze. I couldn't wash off the effect he made me feel inside. I don't know what this feeling is. It's difficult to put it in words.
        Our gazes stuck to each other, as if he were holding onto it and didn't want to end this. I don't know if I ever noticed this, but his eyes are mesmerizing. It blends in shades of green, brown, and gold, giving them a warm, dynamic quality. There's a captivating sparkle in them, a warm, inviting depth, with flecks of amber that make them come alive in the light. His gaze on me feels full of intrigue and warmth. Hazel Glint.
        "Have you decided?" His voice snapped me back from my thoughts. How could I stare at him that long? Oh my, this can't be happening to me right now; it's embarrassing. "Not yet," I blinked and turned my head slightly down, shaking it.
        "I really need someone to help me as soon as possible. Vincenzo is having a trip with Naomi; he'll be gone for a while. That's why I'm desperate to find someone." He's arms crossed against his chest when he turned his torso to me, until his whole body was turning to me. He leaned against his palms, his elbow on the tabletop. "Can you give me at least maybe...two or three days?" I asked in a breathy voice.
        "Take your time. But I'll be waiting." He responded in aloof, then turned back to his plate. He pricked his fork into the pork and took a bite on it. I stared at him for a while; his jaw muscles tightened regularly, and his teeth bit down with controlled power, blending raw strength with subtle grace in every move. I looked away instantly and sighed, turning on my phone to check the time. It's 10:26 pm in the evening. It's getting late, no, it's late.
        I turned to Olivia and called out for her. "Olivia, I think we should go."
        "Oh yeah, I almost forgot; we have work tomorrow, yeah." She stood up from her seat.
        "Um, madame? We're done, thank you," Naomi exclaimed calmly with the cook inside.
        We all walked out of the roadside eatery. The late-night sky was full of stars, twinkling above us. Towering buildings are wrapped in silence while their windows are still flickering with the last remnants of office activity. Streets are eerily silent, bathed in the soft glow of streetlights, casting stretched out shadows across empty side walks, and the hum of distant traffic and the occasional siren created a rhythmic backdrop. "I'll see you both soon again, Olivia," Naomi remarked, smiling while holding his tipsy boyfriend.
        "Yeah, hope you enjoy your vacation too," Olivia responded"Take care, you three." I waved and turned my back to them while Olivia and I walked along the empty side together, drifting our ways from them. The night seemed to be more peaceful, and I indeed enjoyed the day. Also, Olivia. As soon as we stopped by the part of the sidewalk where we had to drift our ways, Olivia bid me a wave of good night and farewell. In the end, I walked alone along the alley with streetlights on the side, enough for me to take a glance at the road.
        Arriving at my apartment, I took off my shoes and went straight to my bed. Flopping myself on my bed's mattress, my front body and face buried in them. I'm tired. I sat up, taking off my trench coat and putting it on the wall hook rack along with my hobo crossbody bag. I laid my back on my bed, staring at the ceiling, waiting for myself to close my eyes in exhaustion. I stared for not too long when the surroundings got dark and my eyes closed shut.
        Waking up at midnight to be jolted by my alarm clock. I squinted my eyes and rubbed them with my palms, adjusting my sight from blurryness until it focused on the shelf in front of my bed. I stood up from my bed then walked towards the bathroom, leaving a soft sound of my footsteps in the tiles. I switched on the lights and washed my face with water from the sink.
        Minutes passed after I finished up myself from washing up and dressing myself completely to be ready for the day. I wore a cream cotton crew paired with black denim and a low ponytail hairstyle-because I'm still not good at hair tying. I immediately snatched my hobo crossbody bag from the wall hook rack and walked outside my apartment and locked it. I walked on my way to the cafe, and when I stopped at the front, Nereus was on his way inside. He noticed me. I shook myself and pushed the glass door with Nereus, the first customer of the day again.
        Olivia came to me and greeted me when she noticed Nereus. "I'll be back." Olivia smiled and walked towards Nereus to get his order. Of course no one can ignore the first customer, so even if we had to greet each other a good morning, we favour serving the first customer first before we can finally greet each other. I went to the staff's room and changed my clothes into my uniform.
        When I got out, Olivia stepped in front of me, handing over in my face the tray with a hot Americano and a banana caramel pancake on it. "It's Nereus' order; can you bring this to him? I really need to go to the comfort room," Olivia smiled, pleading. It's almost funny actually; she really looks like she needs to go. So, I grabbed the tray slowly from her to not spill the coffee. I went to Nereus' table with a smile. "Here's your order, sir." I put the plate and the coffee down from the tray.
        As soon as I got into the cafe counter, I felt relief that I let out a heavy sigh before glancing back at Nereus for the last time. I don't know why I feel like this...flustered. Since the day I noticed him, I couldn't wash off the feeling. I thought I was just uncomfortably triggered by his dark demeanor. But now I don't think it is because of his dark vibe, I think it's just really me. Yes, I fear him at the same time, but not the same way the others will feel towards him. That they'll fear him and don't want to get too close to him, yet, I feel like I want to get close to him. I can't even understand myself right now.
        Nereus left an hour ago now. "Okay, madame, we'll have your order by then before your shot clock alarms." I smiled lightly with the woman. "Bianca, here's the number six's order." I handed to her the receipt of the woman with the name of its order on it. While Olivia and I were gone yesterday, James decided to improve some sort of thing in the cafe, including yelling of someone's order. Instead of yelling, the customer's receipt will not be handed to them yet. The receipt will serve as the customer's ordered list to keep the peace in the cafe. I liked that plan; since I handle the cashier and getting the customers' orders, I don't have to yell anymore.
        While I was in the middle of the work, problems hit me again. I shouldn't be complaining; it's my mom's life that is on the way. I can't let her die. I haven't brought a guy yet to introduce; I promised to her. Mom dreamed of me finding someone, but I know God's timing. Mom knows about it too; she prayed that it'll come early. That wish she prayed is eating me inside.
        Suddenly, a buzz from my pocket snapped me out of my thoughts. I answered the call without checking the caller ID yet. "Hello?" What the? Is this a game? Why is no one answering? "Hello? You contacted the wrong number." I waited for a little to have an answer, but still no one. When I was about to hang up, a voice stopped me. "I'm not." A man's voice. He doesn't seem to be familiar. "Sir? By any chance...do I know you?" I asked calmly.
        Instead of answering, he sends a message. *Don't hang up yet; I just want to ask something.* It's weird. "Sir, can you please speak?" I waited, but then he sent another message. *Do you deliver at night?* Oh right, customer. But how does this one know my number? "Yes, sir," I responded as he sent another message. *Two iced Americanos, one hot mocha, and a whole chocolate cake* I arch my eyebrows when I read his message. It's a lot. When I was about to ask what time I should deliver it, he hung up. Rude.
"Who was that?" Eloise asked. "Customer," I said in a breathy voice. "I don't know how this one got my number," I added and sat on the chair while there were no new customers yet. "What did they order?" She asked once again. "Two iced Americanos, one hot mocha, and a whole chocolate cake," I looked up at Eloise while I was sitting on the chair. "Quite a lot, right?" Eloise nodded and crossed her arms, leaning on the counter, "maybe a simple surprise to someone." She responded when I felt another buzz in my pocket. When I checked on it, it was the customer's order, *Bring it before seven,* and finally he gave a specific time. "What is it they say?" Eloise asked. "Specific time, it says here that I should bring it before seven." Another buzz I felt from my phone that is on my hand, "and an address, not far from here. I'll deliver it." Eloise's face turned to frown. "Are you sure? I'm worried; what if something happens?" Is she scaring me? Oh, come on, I prayed nothing would happen. "I'm fine; it's not that far anyway; I'll bring it after we close the café." Eloise nodded but was still worried.
        As the night drove above the city, all of us started closing up the cafe. I prepared the order of the man from the phone while they arranged the chairs and tables. "You really will be fine?" Isaiah asked. "I can deliver it myself," he added. Okay, now why are they worried? Are they thinking this is some sort of scam or something? "Really, I'm fine, Isaiah." I then put it neatly in plastic. "I should go first, okay?" I smiled at them, walking backwards while waving.
        When I arrived at the location, it shocked me. This is not some sort of scam, right? I mean this building; mostly celebrities or popular people live here. The windows are flickering with a soft and light vibe inside; it feels like no danger. As soon as I got inside, my jaw dropped off of the beauty. There's a chandelier above, and the lights inside are mesmerising, making it more clear that riches can only live in these kinds of mesmerising, and white wall apartments.
        After glancing around, I head back to my job and then knocked on the door where he addressed his order. Bro's taking too long inside; he still won't open the door. I let out a heavy sigh and leaned my back on the wall after I knocked for already five times. I waited until the door opened.         I straightened myself and turned to him. "Leena." He crooned with an ear-to-ear smile; it was Jake.
        "Jake?" I furrowed my eyebrows slightly to confirm. "I am." He giggled and pulled me into him and wrapped his arms around me. "Oh my, how are you living here?" I pulled away and spanked his shoulder. "What can I say? I'm successful now." He stood up straight and placed his hands on his hips and said it confidently. He still hasn't changed.
        Jake and I used to be childhood friends. Literally friends, no fake; we're like siblings. When we both got into college, our paths drifted and we never saw each other again. Now I understand why he still can contact me; I haven't changed my number yet since high school.
        "You haven't changed your number." He put his hand on my back, gently guiding me inside. He is successful now; his house is huge and beautiful; obviously, I can't afford it.         "Yeah, I don't have time for changing the contact number," I said as I sat on his couch. Oh my, it's mushy; I feel like I want to sleep here in his couch.
        "I see, how's your mom and dad, by the way? I miss your mom's cooking every time I visit your house." He chuckled and sat next to me. "They're fine, still the same." I lied; I can't tell him yet. We just met again, and I don't want him to get worried much about me when we just met again.
        "So what do you do for a living?" I asked.
        "Writing," he smiled mischievously. "Writing?" I laughed when he also laughed as well. "I'm sorry, I just..." Placing my finger tips on my lips. "I'm serious," he responded, still laughing. I don't know what kind of humour we both have. I feel like I'm insulting or underestimating what he does for a living, but look at us, both laughing for nothing. We talked for a while about why he ordered three, which turns out that he is supposedly having a visitor. But it was cancelled due to an emergency of his visitors; his friend is married, and his wife is having labour today. I wanted to meet them soon.
        "I wanted to talk to you more, but I'll be so busy after this day. I have to continue writing the new series my readers are expecting," he said with a sad tone. "It's fine; besides, I am also. By the way, I should go." I smiled and walked away. I wanted to tell him about mom. He knows a lot about me, and he's part of my life. He deserves to know, right? I mean, he's like a son to mom and dad.
        I don't know what I'm thinking that I headed to the rooftop. Maybe I just need some time alone and some air. I'm alone at my apartment, but there's no air like this. I rested my arms on the ledge, staring at the sky, stores, houses, and towering buildings. The cityscape at night is beautiful; I like staring at the lights from the windows of the towering skyscrapers. It's just like a light of hope. Despite the dark challenges in life, there's still light of hope, and staring at those towering skyscrapers makes it look like there's a lot of hope.
        My hope is I think it is in Nereus.
        I took a deep breath and exhaled softly when I heard the door creeked open. It's a little bit dark, so I can't see anything much. When the person's silhouette emerged from the shadows, it made me more focused. He looked familiar. He stepped towards me, and his every step felt heavy; I could hear his breathing heavily. Is he mad or upset?
        "Aleena?" His voice is deep and washed over me. I can't understand what it is or why.
        "Nereus?" I asked calmly. "What are you doing here?" he asked, placing his hand gently on my shoulder. "Can you please come down?"
        "I'm good, Nereus"
        "Just please come down," he pleaded. I don't know why I obey him, but I went down from the ledge with his gentle and reassuring support for me to not fall from this high building.         "I'm really fine, Nereus. I'm not committing suicide, okay?" Staring at him. Straight in his eyes. Even though I can only see his silhouette, his hazel glint eyes still flick. I couldn't stop but stared at him for a while.
        His eyes are just beautiful.