Prologue

My PoV

The monotonous beep of the heart monitor has become my constant companion, a rhythmic reminder of my newfound reality. I, Francis Andre Buencamino Yan, Andy to those who know me, find myself trapped in this sterile prison of white walls and antiseptic air. It's been exactly seventy-three days since the accident that shattered not just my body, but the very essence of who I am.

I can still hear the deafening crunch of metal, feel the sickening lurch as my beloved Cessna 337 spiraled out of control. One moment, I was soaring through the clouds, relishing the freedom of the open sky. The next, my world exploded into chaos as another aircraft, a Cessna 172, I later learned, plowed into me. The pilot's momentary distraction cost me everything.

Now, I lie here, my left leg nothing more than a phantom limb, a cruel joke played by my nervous system. The empty space beneath the sheets where my leg should be is a constant, gnawing reminder of all I've lost. My dreams of climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, of dancing at both of my little sister's wedding's, when she gets married in the future, all gone in the blink of an eye.

The days blur together, a haze of pain medications, physical therapy sessions, and pitying glances from the hospital staff. I've memorized every crack in the ceiling, every smudge on the walls. The food they serve might as well be cardboard; I can barely summon the energy to choke it down.

But then there's Alex. My beacon of hope in this sterile nightmare. Every week, without fail, Alex appears at my door, a mischievous glint in those kind eyes. "Special delivery for the grounded pilot," comes the whispered greeting, followed by the unmistakable aroma of contraband McDonald's fries. In those moments, as we share illicit burgers and laugh over Alex's terrible jokes, I feel human again. I remember what it was like to smile, to feel something other than this crushing despair.

Yet when Alex leaves, the weight of my new reality comes crashing back. I'm haunted by the what-ifs.What if I had delayed my flight by just five minutes? What if I had chosen a different route? What if the other pilot had just looked up for one more second?

As I lie here, staring at the ceiling for the thousandth time, I can't help but wonder: Will I ever fly again? Will I ever feel the rush of takeoff, the serenity of cruising above the clouds? Or is this hospital room with its beeping monitors and impersonal care, to be my new cockpit, earthbound and alone?

I close my eyes, trying to conjure the sensation of wind on my face, of freedom in my grasp. But all I feel is the rough hospital sheet against my skin, a stark reminder of how far I've fallen. This is my life now, a grounded pilot, a broken man, waiting for a future I can no longer envision.

Yet somewhere, deep inside, a small voice whispers of resilience, of the possibility of reclaiming the skies. It's faint, almost imperceptible beneath the weight of my despair. But it's there. And for now, in this endless sea of grey days and sleepless nights, it's all I have to cling to.

As I lie here, lost in thought, the door creaks open. It's Dr. Patel, her usual warm smile replaced by a look of concern.

"Good morning, Mr. Yan," she says, her voice gentle but tinged with worry. "How are you feeling today?"

I force a weak smile. "Same as yesterday, Doc. Like a bird with clipped wings."

She nods sympathetically, glancing at my chart. "I see your blood pressure has been elevated lately. Have you been feeling more stressed?"

I let out a bitter laugh. "Stressed? Doc, I'm a pilot who can't fly, a man who can't walk. Stress doesn't begin to cover it."

Dr. Patel sits on the edge of my bed, her eyes meeting mine. "Andy, I understand this is incredibly difficult. But your health, your heart, it's under a lot of strain. We need to manage your stress levels."