The Trap on All Sides; Montana's early Farewell?

"Son, you don't have to follow your old man's footsteps. I chose this path because I must. You are free to choose whatever you want and not be burdened by my legacy. I know that you, Kodai, and everyone else on this ship will do great things in the coming future."

—————

'Grandpa, I hope you are proud of the path I've chosen.', Abraham thought, a tear leaking from his eye. 'It's like you said, you chose this because you need to. I chose to follow yours because I want to.'

—————

15 February 2199

Pluto Frontline Base

"Montana, do you copy? Emergency! Emergency!"

Shultz, Ganz, and Jarletora all stand from a large screen, reviewing the video footage transmitted by the assault tanks. General Goer joins them through a hologram, listening in to a female voice of an intercepted transmission.

"I see. So the Terron Ship is called the Montana.", Goer says, hands on his hips. He doesn't seem impressed, commenting on the ship's appearance.

"However...What an ugly ship that is. Not a bit of grace to it!"

Shultz turns to face the general. "The Montana is probably on its way here, to Plat. We'll lure it in and destroy it."

"Is there any guarantee they'll come here?"

"The planet bombs used that turned their planet into a red husk were launched here.", Shultz explained, the video ending behind him.

"I see. Then this is a splendid opportunity for your inferior race, of differently colored skin, to demonstrate your loyalty to Gamilas!", Goer says with a smile.

"We're every bit as loyal to the Empire as pure-blooded Gamilans!", Shultz declared, stern and resolute.

Goer laughs, "Hahaha! That's what I like to see in a great Gamilas soldier. I shall expect results. Garle Dessler! Hail to our leader!"

"Hail to our leader!", Shultz repeated, he and those present put their hand up in salute. Goer's feed then hangs up.

"...I long for the days when I fought for General Domel.", Shultz commented.

"Indeed. Ruthless in battle, yet equal to his men.", Jarletora added.

"How is the scheduled strike coming?"

"Planet bomb 103 will launch shortly.", Ganz reports.

—————

Up in Pluto's orbit, a dance of precision begins. Several dozen satellites are stationed as part of the planet bombing system. A few of them open up to reveal panels that rotate as per instructions received from the surface.

"Reflecting satellite 4. Deploying reflectors. Correcting angle plus 5 degrees."

"Reflecting satellite 8. Deploying reflectors. Correcting angle plus 4 degrees."

"Reflecting satellite 10. Deploying reflectors. Correcting angle minus 8 degrees."

"Reflecting satellite 2. Deploying reflectors. Correcting angle minus 6 degrees."

—————

"Target sighted. Reflecting Satellite Cannon charging.", the gunner officer reported, Jarletora standing behind watching an asteroid being targeted. "Chamber pressure rising."