Prologue

The days leading up to meeting Grant Ward again started like any typical week, Sunday morning I went to to Mass. I went to class Monday afternoon and went back to my apartment that night and got a lil tipsy— okay I was wasted... By Tuesday at noon my week, my routine, had been thrown so far off course, I could've been catapulted straight to Moscow by just how far off it went. As I left my apartment around 9:15 and walked through the streets of Greenville, per usual I got a phone call from my brother Derek.

Flashback____:

RINGGGGGGG RINGGGGG

"Hey Ducky." The voice on the other end of the call said. The voice belonged to my older brother Derek.

"Hey Bubbles." I retort naturally as I'm walking down the sidewalk to the crosswalk.

"You headed to class?" He asks.

"Nope," I retort quickly, popping the 'p' sassily. "An internship interview actually." I finish my sentence matter of factly.

"Okay, where at? The hospital there?.... What's it called.... ECU medical...?" He asks pretending to not know the name.

"Actually I'm renting a car to go down to Morehead City. It's at Cherry Point." I reply.

"Oh that's cool ducky. Thats a marine base isn't it?" He responds with interest, though, I can hear the exhaustion laced every syllable as he asks his question.

"Yep it is. You pull a 32 again...?" I answer then ask knowingly, he's always working til he drops. I worry about him. Ever since Addie cheated on him with Mark he's consistently drowning himself in work and alcohol....

Though I think there's a rebound. Every once in a while I'll hear a woman's voice just before I hang up the phone and continue my routine.

"Yea... I did duck. We had a mass casualty 20 hours in." He says with a tired, dare I say, sad voice.

"Oh my god Der how the hell are you standing right now?!" I almost yell. I'm concerned. "Don't make me fly out to Washington tonight." I say with firm protective voice.
I'm protective of him...

Yes he's my older brother by like 10 years but he's still my brother and maternal instincts are still instincts. We talk for a while longer exchange pleasantry's and I tell him to "get some fuckin' sleep dumbass." Then we end the call as I pull out of the parking lot in the rental car.