18. Don't listen to him, he does bite.

Salem Luna

Rule number one, never give me a key to places. I will find them irresistible, and I will go because I can. Which was the same reason I turned the key in the lock to Raven's house and pushed my way inside. I wasn't sure where he was. Something boring. I didn't know.

After I went home the other night—rather late, mind you—I haven't been able to see him. He told me he'd be busy here and there over the next few days. All I knew was that his adoptive parents needed something from him.

My parents and August were in Los Angeles for the next two weeks, so I was by myself. They asked me to go. I denied so fast. Imagine me, stuttering through the reasons why I shouldn't go. Then I merely said it was personal, and suddenly, it was forgotten about.

August had to start working with the label to get his music ready to be recorded. I wasn't sure the process of how that worked, so I never asked. Didn't interest me. It would only interest me when August released his album. Could you talk about putting songs on repeat? I sure would be.

Either way, it was dangerous to leave the ADHDer without anything to do. I locked the door behind me and smiled with accomplishment. Whatever. He said I could, and I'll take that to my grave. Oh. Morbid.

I wandered up to Raven's room, snatching the panda from between his pillows. I've decided to make Snuggles my new best friend. We weren't going to look at him like a bad omen.

Having boyfriend privileges was amazing. Too bad said boyfriend couldn't be here right now. I couldn't even be hanging out with my cousins. Oliver was with his girlfriend. Cyrus was kissing Sage's ass, probably. And Valen went with my parents and August to L.A. I was morbidly alone.

"Come on, Snuggles. Let's go steal some of Raven's clothes. You heard me warn him, right? Good. You can be my witness during the trial. Let's go see what we can find."

I opened his closet, and holy shit, my dark and mysterious boy had so many options. The hoodie selection was mouth watering. I dove right for the hoodies, smiling to myself as I ran my hand over the sleeves.

Yeah, I was stealing this purple one. I've seen him wear it once. It needed some tender love, and care. I pulled it from the hanger, set Snuggles on the bench in the middle of the closet and put it on.

"Jesus, I'm swimming in this. Stupid mountainous boyfriend. Why did he have to be so tall? Hell, why did I have to be so short? Whatever, I am going to wear this everywhere." I held up my arms in front of Snuggles. "He has long arms, too. Look. They're like spaghetti noodles. I hate my height. But I do like having a tall boyfriend." I opened my mouth and closed it before saying. "I've gone insane. I'm talking to a stuffed animal. It's not even been a full two days yet, and I'm talking to myself."

Meh, it was New Year's Eve. I hoped Raven would come home tonight, but I didn't want to make him feel bad if he couldn't, so I didn't ask. I showed up in hopes he'd be here at some point. If not, I'd leave. After midnight.

I felt less lonely in this house than my own. My house was usually loud and full of chaos. Raven's house was quiet in a peaceful way.

I walked out of the closet after grabbing Snuggles, sighing as I decided to start poking around. I wasn't going to go through anything, but I wanted to know what he had around here. Six bedrooms. Five bathrooms. Too much space.

But I knew why he decided to stay here. It was where he started to grow up. And also what he had left of his parents. It made the most sense to me.

I stopped when I caught sight of a book case in what appeared to be an office area. I backed up two steps, poking my head in. Then I had to blink about eighty times before I approached the singular bookcase.