Chapter 7: Evilus Encounter

Sigrid's PoV

As our group made our way through the dungeon floors, I walked near the front beside Riveria and Finn, being one of few Level 4s on this expedition.

 ''I'm glad you joined us, Aqua Princess,'' Finn said as we reached the 13th floor. ''Having a strong Level 4 increases morale, especially one with your track record of feats.''

I beamed beneath my mask. ''I'm honored to hear that from the Braver. And I want to repay Riveria-neechan somehow for teaching me Concurrent Chanting, even if she says I owe her nothing.''

''Nee-chan?'' Riveria repeated, brows rising slightly in surprise. It seemed no one had addressed her so informally before. But she seemed so kind and beautiful - like an elder sister.

''You look so young and pretty, I thought it suited you!''  I said. Riveria appeared no older than her early twenties.

''Pfft, she may look like this but Riveria's actually almost 9-'' Finn began, only to get cut off by a jab to the side from Riveria's magic wand.

''Shut it, Pallum.'' she said sternly, fixing him with a glare.

''Whatever you say, prideful elf.'' Finn replied with a shrug, unaffected by her chiding.

I had to stifle a giggle at their playful banter. Even the most renowned adventurers let their guard down amongst friends, it seemed. Perhaps beneath their fame and skill, they were much like any other Familia - just with a lot more experience ribbing each other.

''Umm... Can I call you Riveria-neechan?'' I asked her shyly. Her lips curled into a gentle smile.

''It's fine by me. It's... refreshing to be thought of as a big sister.'' she replied softly.

Riveria always seemed so elegant and serious. But maybe, underneath, she had a kind and caring heart, just like a real big sister. I was glad she didn't mind me addressing her so informally.

''Heh, even the most serious elf I know isn't immune to the charms of a kid.'' Finn chuckled as we pressed onward through the floor. Riveria shot him a look but didn't deny it.

Finn's expression turned serious as he looked at me. ''But are you sure you want to join this expedition? I would understand if not, since you're still just a child. Having blood on your hands at such a young age could create lasting trauma.''

I stood tall with resolve. ''I'm sure,'' I replied firmly. ''While I won't kill even if my life depends on it, because my dream is to be a hero of justice who saves people and helps others without taking any lives!''

''I see, you've got quite the lofty dream there, Sigrid,'' Finn said with a chuckle. ''Even without seeing your face, I can feel your resolve. Becoming a hero of justice won't be easy, especially with your ideals of not taking any lives. Sometimes tough calls have to be made for the greater good. I don't think it's possible to be that kind of hero, to be honest.''

''I won't give up!'' I insisted stubbornly. ''Heroes can make the impossible possible, right? I'm going to try my best to be that kind of hero!''

Finn laughed heartily at my determination. Riveria let out an exasperated sigh at his antics.

 ''Alright, I admire your spirit. But it sounds a bit cruel, so how about a bet?''

''A bet?'' I asked curiously.

''Show me your resolve on this expedition. Prove how much you believe in your ideals. If you succeed... I owe you a big favor and 10 million valis.''

''Finn! You can't be serious?! to make such a bet! She is just a child with a big dream.'' Riveria protested.