4 - A Summer Evening

Note: If you enjoy, I'd love for you to comment and interact with the story. I'm trying to grow my audience for future stories.

 I'm trying to grow my audience for future stories

𓂃 𓈒𓏸

"Through your eyes I see

A smile you bring to me

To your joy I tether

Not a lot, just forever" 

- Adrianne Lenker

𓂃 𓈒𓏸

 Y/n felt that he was beginning to figure out this life – Coastal Hearts– in a strange sort of way. It wasn't that he felt good about how the story was going – nor was it a confidence, but a naive hope that everything could stay the same if he tried hard enough. Each morning, he woke up in a lovely bed in a beautiful home, to a kind brother and a warm beach town. It was nice, yet foreboding. Everything could fall apart, and he was well aware of it.

The man considered this all as he saw an invitation on the counter. It was perhaps better quality than any invitation that he had ever received. It was a thick cardstock with a cursive font, inviting Winston and Y/n Summers to a soiree hosted by the Aubert family. He wished he had seen it before Winston had brought it in because he would've just ripped it up and ceased to worry.

There was a soiree in the game, just like now. Originally, the protagonist Winston felt out of place, but Percy swept in and escorted him around, danced with him, and thanked him eloquently for saving his life. It was like a modern fairytale scene, that had initially endeared Y/n.

Now, he couldn't think of anything more to dread. He was about to leave to ask Winston about the invitation, but the black-haired man had beat him to it, stepping towards him with a soft smile. "Hey, Y/n, did you read that? I was hoping you'd come with me to the soiree."

Y/n felt bad for trying to say no to Winston but steeled himself. He rubbed his elbow awkwardly. "Look, I don't know... Percy doesn't owe us anything. We don't need to go." Y/n was certain that Percy would use the life-saving event as an excuse to get closer to Winston, even if he wasn't Percy's savior.

Winston frowned, "Yeah, but... you saved his life. I think he wants to pay you back for that. We should go." He looked at Y/n with sad – puppy dog? – eyes.

Y/n stumbled over his words and excuses, "Well, I'm not sure. I don't know about Percy. He's a stranger, really, we shouldn't go to an event at his home. A - and, there are so many other things we could do tonight..."

Winston leaned in, "Please? I don't want to have to go alone."

Ah, so he was playing that card. Y/n sighed, closing his eyes. "We're leaving early though."