𝐱𝐢. days felt like hours

EVERYWHERE,
EVERYTHING

ACT ONE: FELL IN LOVE
                            WITH THE FIRE
                                LONG AGO

xi. days felt like hours

THE NEXT MORNING Percy got woken up with Mitchell shaking him roughly

THE NEXT MORNING Percy got woken up with Mitchell shaking him roughly. "Finally, Nemo. I was ready to punch you awake."

"That would've just knocked me out for even longer."

"Thank you." Mitchell said, "Anyway. The truck's stopped, we think they're coming to check on the animals."

Annabeth put her cap on, and Mitchell double tapped his ring. They both turned invisible while Percy and Grover had to scramble about to find a hiding spot. They dove behind a feed sack just in time for the trailer doors to creak open without them being seen.

"Man!" one of the truckers groaned, waving his hand in front of his ugly nose. "I wish I hauled appliances." He climbed inside and poured some water from a jug into the animals' dishes. "You hot, big boy?" he asked the lion, then splashed the rest of the bucket right in the lion's face.

The lion roared and shook its mane, trying to get the water off it. It would've loved the cool, but getting wet was not what it wanted.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," the man said, rolling his eyes.

Grover tensed up, and for a peace-loving herbivore, he looked downright murderous. The trucker threw the antelope a squashed-looking Happy Meal bag.

He smirked at the zebra. "How ya doin', Stripes? Least we'll be getting rid of you this stop. You like magic shows? You're gonna love this one. They're gonna saw you in half!"

There was a knock at the side of the vehicle and the trucker inside with them yelled, "What do you want, Eddie?"

A voice outside—Eddie's—shouted back, "Maurice What'd ya say?"

"What are you banging for?"

More knocking followed, Eddie yelled, "What banging?"

Maurice rolled his eyes and went back outside, cursing at Eddie for being an idiot. A second later, Annabeth appeared next to the two boys. "This transport business can't be legal."

"No kidding," Grover said. He paused, as if listening. "The lion says these guys are animal smugglers We've got to free them!"

Eddie and Maurice were yelling at each other outside, and Percy grabbed Riptide, slashing the lock off the zebra's cage. Once out, the zebra bowed at Percy, and Grover gave it a satyr's blessing.

Maurice poked his head inside the truck to check the noise, and that's when the zebra leaped over him and into the street. Eddie and Maurice ran after it, with police chasing them as well.