Chapter Eight: Echoes of Ruin

Sydney's P.O.V.

     Atlas and Theo are practically cackling like a pack of hyenas, a proud smile surfacing on my face as I sit back in my seat. Hudson grits his teeth, "Shut up. You're annoying me.". I laugh, my smile growing, "Oh is that all you got? Tell me something I don't already know.". Hudson scoffs, a small smile tugging at his lips, "You're not as strong as you think.". My smile drops almost immediately, my brows pressing together as I turn to look at his stupid face, "No. You think I'm weak because I'm not like you.". I clench my jaw as I sit back in my seat, and the silence that suddenly fills the air is uncomfortable. Geez, someone talk. One of the guys should have some sort of stupid ass comment to be made right? Whatever. I don't care anyway. I start tapping my feet again, rapidly and louder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~ The next four hours are long and unbearable. I stayed silent the whole way. Unless it was Brina or Ares talking to me. Everyone else can just fuck off. Hudson pulls into an abandoned city, an uneasy feeling settling into my chest. I sit up, my gaze narrowing as I take in our surroundings. Atlas glances at me, his brows furrowing under his spectacles, "What is it?". I shake it off, "I don't know. Sorry.". I answer shortly as I sit back. But I can't help that feeling. This feeling tugging at me to get out. Hudson stops in front of a broken-in grocery store, the words on the sign barely readable at this point.

     We all pile out of the car, staying in a close group as we step inside. Shards of glass crunch underneath my boots, my eyes darting around the interior. Shelves knocked over...some food rotting and spilled out...and some unaffected. "Stay in pairs," Theo says as he takes Brina by the wrist, dragging her shortly behind him. She turns over her shoulder with a look of disbelief written on her face. I open my mouth to protest, but Atlas is already nudging me forward. I drag in a breath, shaking my head as I follow close behind him.

     We pick up random little things...whether it be food...or just supplies as a whole. Atlas and I turn into an aisle, my gaze glossing over the scattered cans and boxes. I walk further down, my steps light on the tiles. Atlas lets out a hearty chuckle behind me, my brows pressing together as I turn over my shoulder. He grins, my gaze landing on a yo-yo dropping from his hand before it flies right back up, "I haven't seen a yo-yo in ages.". My lips purse, trying to force back my amusement before a giggle breaks out of me, "Better hold on to it then.". 

     I crouch down, rummaging through a box to see if any of the food in here is somewhat edible. Atlas crouches in front of me, his head tilting to the side as he attempts to analyze my expression. "So. Have you two always been alone?" Atlas asks me bluntly, my head tilting back up to meet his gaze. "No. We kinda...bounced around between groups." I answer vaguely, tossing out empty or rotten containers of food. 

     "Oh. Well, you guys are very deeply distrusting people then. But I respect it." My brow lifts as I look at him, "Well we don't typically get fucking kidnapped, but maybe that's just a normal Tuesday for you guys.".  Atlas plants a hand on his chest, dramatically falling backward on the ground, "Oh woe is me! I have been gracefully saved by the four knights, whatever will I do?!". I scoff, a small smile on my face as I stand up, "Felt a lot more like kidnapping.".

     Atlas sits up, his head tilted and brows pinched, "Oh come on. We didn't kidnap you guys. You've had plenty of opportunities to leave. Or kill us for that matter. And you haven't.". I raise an eyebrow, crossing my arms over my chest, "I could say the same for you guys.". Atlas chuckles, pushing himself up to his feet and taking a step towards me, "C'mon. You like us. At least a little.". My expression hardens, "I like Sabrina. And y'know what, I do actually like Ares.". 

     Atlas groans, "Why Ares? He's the quietest out of all of us.".

     "Weed dude. Weed." Ares calls out from some other space in the store, a little laugh leaving my mouth in response as I turn, "What can I say? Stoners get along.".

     Atlas and I walk a little further, Hudson and Ares meeting us in the middle. My head turns a couple of times, my thoughts trailing to Theo and Brina. Before I can think about it further, the door on the right side opens, and that unbearable creak echoes throughout the room. I turn, the outside light shining in as something gets chucked inside. 

     "Shit, get down!" Hudson yells, tackling me down to the floor with him. I coil up, his hand on the back of my head and the other around my waist in a firm hold. It explodes seconds after landing, the sound brutal and vibrating on the floor underneath me. My eyes shut tight, my jaw clenching as rubble scatters and falls like rain. My ears are ringing...the sound is painful and unforgiving. I let out a shaky breath, peeling my eyes open and immediately meeting Hudson's gaze. He's close...his grip on me not faltering until I nudge him off. "What the fuck...what the fuck just happened?" I stumble over my words as I pull myself up to my feet, Hudson not too far behind me.

     "Sydney! Hey! Syd?!" Brina's frantic voice fills the air quickly, my head turning over my shoulder to meet her gaze. "I'm okay! I'm good!" I call back, running a hand through my hair. Hudson makes a beeline for the door, his gun in his hands and ready. He's fucking fuming, and I'm not the only one that noticed. 

     "Hey...Hudson, wait a second man." Ares says seriously as he starts to follow behind him. Brina and I exchange a glance before quickly following Atlas, who is a couple of feet in front of us. Hudson plows through the door like a bull, turning his head right, then left. Theo nudges, past Brina and I, putting a firm hand on Hudson's shoulder and standing directly in front of him, "No. Okay? No. Let's just fucking get out of here.".  Nothing is said for a brief moment, the two of them just silently talking before Hudson takes a deep breath. 

     "Let's get the truck loaded up."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note! 

     Hello again, everyone! I hope you guys are enjoying so far! I just want to give a couple trigger warnings for the next chapter, and I'll mention this again at the beginning just in case. 

TW: Mention of Kidnapping and Drugging. 

     I want to be totally safe here, so if some of you are uncomfortable in any way shape or form please don't continue reading. There will be more warnings as we continue, and I will never release a chapter without one if it is needed. 

     Thank you guys for all the love so far!!