ᴛᴡᴏ. ꜰʀᴇᴅᴇʀɪᴄᴋ ɪꜱ ᴀ ᴅɪᴄᴋ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ʜᴀʟꜰ

❧ frederick is a dick and a half ❧

The storm outside was relentless, lightning cutting through the sky and lighting up the dark room for brief moments before leaving it in shadows again. Thunder followed close behind, shaking the walls of the Salvatore Boarding House. Amalie lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, her body tense with every rumble of the storm. Even after 165 years, she still couldn't shake her fear of storms.

The wind howled, branches scraping against the windows like claws. Another flash of lighting filled the room, casting eerie shapes across the walls. Amalie pulled her knees toward her chest, biting her lip, trying to calm her racing heart.

The soft creak of the bedroom door caught her attention, barely audible over the storm. She didn't need to look to know who it was. Only one person knew her well enough to understand what she needed without being asked.

Max stood in the doorway, his silhouette visible in the dim light from the hall. He didn't say a word. He didn't have to. The storm rattled the window again, and Amalie winced, her body tensing all over. Quietly, Max closed the door behind him, shutting out the world.

He walked across the room with calm, unhurried steps, his eyes full of quiet understanding. When he reached the bed, Max didn't wait for permission. He simply lifted the blanket and slid in beside her.

Amalie felt the bed shift as Max settled in next to her. His warmth instantly eased the cold fear in her bones. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer, her head resting against his chest. The steady rhythm of his heartbeat under her ear was more comforting than any words.

They didn't speak. They were no need.

The storm outside continued to rage, but it felt distant now. Max's arm stayed firm around her, his hand resting on her upper arm, tracing gentle patterns. Amalie closed her eyes, the tension slowly leaving her body. She wasn't alone. She hadn't been alone for over a century since Max came into her life, and that thought made everything easier to bear.

She breathed in his familiar scent—leather and earth, something grounding and safe. Max adjusted his hold, making sure she was comfortable as thunder rumbled overhead. His touch was steady, protective, but never overbearing. His chin rested lightly on her head, their closeness keeping her grounded.

Another flash lit up the room, but this time, she didn't flinch. With Max beside her, the storm wasn't so terrifying. The wind could howl all it wanted—here, in this space, she was safe.

Max's fingers combed slowly through her hair, his touch calm and steady. It reminded her of all the times he'd been there for her, through storms much worse than this, both outside and within. He had always been there, comforting her without needing to say anything.

Amalie shifted slightly, turning her face into his chest. His hand gently rested on the back of her head, holding her close. They fit together in a way that felt timeless, like two parts of a whole worn smooth by years of being together. No matter what happened, no matter how much time passed, their bond stayed strong and steady.

The sound of Max's breathing was all she focused on now, the quiet hum of his presence filling the room. Her own breathing slowed, her body finally relaxing as she melted into his warmth.