Chapter Eight

A/N: Notes about chapter content: 

This chapter has a scene that is similar to the diamond auction scene. There is not much similarity, though.
Pete is drugged, like Porsche was.
However, Pete reacts very differently to Porsche, as he does.
There is no assault in this chapter. Because of his impaired judgment, Pete is not able to consent to anything, but anything he participates in is done eagerly. I wasn't even sure if it would be considered dubious.
I am making it sound worse than the scene is. Nothing happens, but Pete wishes it would. That's what I'm trying to say.
Still, please read at your own discretion and comfort level. 
Thank you!

Tem looked nervous as he came to the house to pick up Pete. Pete barely noticed, however, since he had been frantically trying to get his hair to lay in a way that was a little more flattering. Vegas had said he was coming, after all. Not that that was the reason. Pete had been nervously pacing the empty house until Tem arrived, as Wik had already come to get Chay a few minutes before, saying something about showing him something before the fight. Pete figured they must be planning a little date, so he didn't argue.

"Ready?" Tem asked as Pete made his third pass by the hallway mirror, uncrossing his arms to put his hands in his pockets again as he fidgeted.

Pete gave up on his hair, slipping his shoes on instead. "As ready as I can be."

As they set off down the street Pete asked, "So who am I fighting? Cobra?"

"About that," Tem said, scratching the back of his head. "They changed the guy last minute. People are bored of you kicking Cobra's ass, so they want fresh blood."

Pete paled a little at the mention of blood but tried to keep his cool. He had bled from plenty of fights.

"So who is this guy?"

"He calls himself the Naga. He's the guy Porsche has the toughest time with."

"Shit," Pete muttered to himself. If the Phoenix had trouble with this guy, Pete was dead meat.

"But don't worry!" Tem said, overly excited. "You're a solid fighter. I'm sure it won't be too bad."

"Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence."

Tem winced and Pete forced a smile.

"I'm sure I'll be fine. Just...maybe think again about putting your money on me."

"No way," Tem said, without hesitation. "I'm still betting on you, Pete. I'm confident you can win. It'll just be a little...rougher."

Pete nodded, hoping he at least came out with the same amount of teeth and his nose in the same place. The rest of the way there, Tem told Pete every detail he could remember about the Naga from his previous fights. What he forgot to mention was the guy was fucking huge.

Pete felt light-headed as he waited for the rest of the crowd to arrive for the fight, despite the place already being packed.

"Chay said he was coming with his friend," Pete said, glancing around. "But I'm worried about him being here."

"I can keep an eye on them," Tem said, patting Pete on the shoulder. "Oh! There he is with his friends."

"Friends?" Pete hadn't been aware that Chay had more than one friend, if Wik could really even be counted.

A smile bloomed on Pete's face as he peered out to where Tem was pointing to see Chay flanked by a very serious-looking Wik and a very bored-looking Macau. He was glad Chay had them to keep an eye on him in the biggest crowd Pete had seen thus far. The room stank of sweat and cheap beer but Pete blocked that out for a moment, letting his eyes wander in the hopes of catching sight of Vegas while simultaneously wishing Vegas had just been fucking with him. If he had come, he would have been with Macau, right?