Chapter 10: The Prince and the Escapade

It was one of those rare days when the palace wasn’t buzzing with dignitaries or packed with events. Charles, naturally, took this as an opportunity to slip out and enjoy some much-needed “freedom”—a word he used loosely, considering he was still very much a prince and always under some kind of supervision. But today, he had a plan.

Max, however, was not impressed with said plan.

“You want to do what?” Max asked, eyes narrowing as Charles pulled out a pair of oversized sunglasses and a baseball cap.

“I want to go into town,” Charles said casually, as if this was a completely normal request. “You know, mingle with the common folk. Get a feel for what real life is like.”

Max raised an eyebrow. “And you think the sunglasses and hat are going to make you unrecognizable?”

“Obviously,” Charles replied with a grin, putting them both on. “Look at me, I’m practically invisible.”

Max stared at him for a long moment, then sighed, running a hand over his face. “Charles, this is a terrible idea. You’re a prince, you can’t just—”

“Can’t just what? Leave the palace for a few hours? Come on, Max,” Charles interrupted, pulling on the most pitiful look he could muster. “I’m going stir-crazy in here. I haven’t stepped outside in days. And besides, it’s not like I’ll be doing anything dangerous. I just want to go… grab a coffee. Maybe a croissant. See some sights.”

Max crossed his arms, unimpressed by the puppy eyes. “You know this is against protocol.”

“Yes, but you’re with me!” Charles said with enthusiasm, clapping a hand on Max’s shoulder. “What could possibly go wrong?”

Max gave him a long, flat stare that screamed everything could go wrong.

“Listen,” Charles said, leaning in. “Just one coffee. We’ll be back before anyone even notices I’m gone.”

Max exhaled slowly, clearly weighing his options. Charles could see the gears turning in his head: on the one hand, if something happened to Charles, he’d probably be fired. On the other hand, saying no to Charles was like saying no to a particularly stubborn golden retriever.

Finally, Max muttered, “Fine. But I’m coming with you, and if anything goes sideways, we’re leaving immediately.”

“Deal!” Charles said, practically bouncing with excitement. “You’re the best, Max. I mean it.”

Max rolled his eyes but couldn’t help a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. “Let’s just get this over with.”

---

Fifteen minutes later, they were walking down a bustling street in the heart of town, Charles in full “disguise” and Max trailing just a few steps behind him, looking suspiciously like an overprotective parent chaperoning a rebellious teenager.

Charles couldn’t stop grinning. The thrill of doing something as simple as walking down the street without being surrounded by security was intoxicating. It was so normal. People were rushing by, chatting, and sipping on their coffees, completely oblivious to the fact that a prince was casually strolling past them.

“This is amazing,” Charles said under his breath, glancing back at Max with a grin. “I can’t believe no one’s recognized me yet.”

Max raised an eyebrow. “You’re literally wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap indoors. If anyone’s looking, they’re probably just confused.”

“Nah, they probably think I’m a celebrity,” Charles said confidently. “I do have that star power look, you know?”

Max snorted. “Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night, Your Highness.”