Ridgedale Escapes

It had been a few days since the picnic with Bellamy, but the memory still lingered in my mind, as vivid as the wildflowers I'd picked that day. Every time I closed my eyes, I could almost feel the sun on my skin, hear the quiet rustle of the trees, and see the way Bellamy looked at me—as if I were something precious, something rare.

But today wasn't about Bellamy. Today was about Mina. And after days of trying to process what had happened between me and Bellamy, I needed this.

The drive to Ridgedale was a welcome change from Bay Rock. Bay Rock was all small-town charm—dirt roads, farmhouses spaced far apart, and a landscape so flat that you could see the horizon for miles. Ridgedale, by contrast, had an entirely different energy. The roads were paved, and lined with shops and cafes. Where Bay Rock was sleepy and quiet, Ridgedale buzzed with activity. People walked in clusters on the sidewalks, cars zipped past them, and there was always the distant hum of some construction project or renovation underway.

As we rolled into town, I glanced over at Mina, who was rifling through her bag to find her lip gloss. "You look like you're going to war with that purse," I said with a smirk.

"Shut up," Mina grumbled, though she was grinning. "It's in here somewhere. I swear, this thing is like a black hole."

"You always say that," I teased. "I think it's time to upgrade to a smaller bag."

"A smaller bag? Where would I put all my useless crap?" Mina finally pulled out her lip gloss and applied it with an exaggerated pout. "There. Ready to go."

I turned my attention back to the road, navigating through Ridgedale's bustling streets. "I can't believe we actually get a whole day to ourselves."

Mina leaned back in her seat, sighing dramatically. "Hon', we deserve this. After dealing with Sam's dad jokes all week and you avoiding Bel like he's a plague you're secretly in love with, we need a serious break."

I rolled my eyes, though my cheeks flushed at the mention of Bellamy. I hadn't exactly been avoiding him... okay, maybe I had. A little. It was just—I wasn't ready to face him yet. Not after that picnic. Not after the way I felt when we'd kissed. The way he'd looked at me, the way his fingers had brushed mine, all of it left me feeling like the ground wasn't steady anymore.

"So," Mina said, dragging out the word, "are we gonna talk about him or not?"

"Who?"

"Girl, don't even." Mina side-eyed me, a grin playing on her lips. "Bellamy. Mr. Sexy Accent. Mr. Eyes-That-Can-Melt-Your-Clothes-Off. That Bellamy."

I groaned. "Can we not?"

"We're gonna talk about him eventually, but fine, I'll let it slide—for now." Mina's grin widened. "Because I have other plans for today. Ridgedale spa. Brunch. Movies. And no, you're not allowed to be moody."

"Me? Moody? Never."

We parked near the town square and stepped out into the morning sunlight. Ridgedale was bustling, even this early. The clock tower in the center of town rang out to announce that it was ten o'clock, and the shops were already open, their bright signs and well-kept storefronts gleaming in the sun. The smell of fresh coffee and pastries wafted out of the little bakery across the street, making my stomach growl.

Mina looked around, taking in the scene. "God, I love this place. It's like Bay Rock's cooler, older sister."

"It's definitely busier," I said, glancing at the rows of parked cars, the clumps of people already filling the sidewalks.

"Busier, yes. But that's what makes it fun," Mina said. "Also, no one here is asking us when we're gonna settle down or have babies or whatever other outdated nonsense the old folks back home are always on about."